1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths activity for a group of pre-school children

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Macandsox, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Macandsox

Macandsox New commenter

Hi I need some inspiration for a number activity for a group of up to 8 pre school children with school readiness in mind. Anyone got anything to share?
    My idea so far is to sing 5 little speckled frogs using a hand puppet and children as frogs. Asking them questions such as how many frogs in the pond now? How many frogs left on the log?
    Does that sound okay? Maybe extend it by asking them to hold up fingers to correspond with the number of frogs?
    I come from a primary background so I am a bit unsure!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

That sounds fine in theory, but bear in mind that all the children are likely to want a turn at being a frog and may not be that good at sitting and watching others. I have found that the frogs in the pool get distracted by the idea of being in a pool, and would rather pretend to splash around than join in with the rest of the activity - although maybe that's just the children I've taught!