1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths activities Year 5/6

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by 07158422, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hello, has anyone got any great maths activities that can be used as "one off" supply lessons? I don't want to give the children boring worksheets to do!
    Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Maths is very conducive to adaptation according to what the children are currently learning about.So try and find the location of practical apparatus and go with whatever the children are currently doing.
    Look particularly at number fans, cubes, dienes apparatus, number lines, objects to count/share etc.

3. Not very exciting but I sometimes write 4 to 5 numbers on the board and they make different totals choosing any 3 numbers. No photocopying required. The numbers I write are appropriate to the age group so can be TU, HTU, THHTU's. Or I have written ...The answer is __ What is the question? ,The class then have to think of as many numbers sentences with the answer matching the number I chose. I encourage them to think of %, fractions, decimals.