1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematics

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by abed1993, May 30, 2012.

1. Hi,

I know this is really really early to think about such things but i am the kind of person that likes to plan things years in advance (providing that i live lol)..

Just pretend as if i'm in my 2nd year of uni..

AND i know things might change in a few years but lets just hope it doesn't :p

Okay.

Basically, i'm currently doing a joint degree in Sport studies and Social work.
    I did BTEC Sports, BTEC IT and A Level Maths at college.
    I achieved all distinctions for BTEC and a grade D for A Level Maths (I achieved A* for Maths GCSE early entry in year 10)..

But i really do not mind becoming a maths teacher simply because i enjoyed it so much at school and college (despite my grade D lol)..

Now, i understand that i can do a subject knowledge enhance course for Maths providing that i can get onto a PGCE etc..

However, i have seen on many university websites saying that you must have A Level knowledge in maths but it doesn't actually tell you what grade you need for A Level maths to get on the SKE for Maths.

My dilemma is, do you think i should re do some of my A level modules and try to get a C for Maths? (I don't know why but grade C just about sounds like a respectable grade)...

Or do you think i should just stick with the grade D? After all, it doesn't specifically say you need a certain grade. I've seen like 10 universities offering the SKE and not one mentioned anything about a grade.

Help?

P.S are there are people out there that have got onto the SKE MEC? Please share your experience!

Thanks

2. Hi,

I know this is really really early to think about such things but i am the kind of person that likes to plan things years in advance (providing that i live lol)..

Just pretend as if i'm in my 2nd year of uni..

AND i know things might change in a few years but lets just hope it doesn't :p

Okay.

Basically, i'm currently doing a joint degree in Sport studies and Social work.
    I did BTEC Sports, BTEC IT and A Level Maths at college.
    I achieved all distinctions for BTEC and a grade D for A Level Maths (I achieved A* for Maths GCSE early entry in year 10)..

But i really do not mind becoming a maths teacher simply because i enjoyed it so much at school and college (despite my grade D lol)..

Now, i understand that i can do a subject knowledge enhance course for Maths providing that i can get onto a PGCE etc..

However, i have seen on many university websites saying that you must have A Level knowledge in maths but it doesn't actually tell you what grade you need for A Level maths to get on the SKE for Maths.

My dilemma is, do you think i should re do some of my A level modules and try to get a C for Maths? (I don't know why but grade C just about sounds like a respectable grade)...

Or do you think i should just stick with the grade D? After all, it doesn't specifically say you need a certain grade. I've seen like 10 universities offering the SKE and not one mentioned anything about a grade.

Help?

P.S are there are people out there that have got onto the SKE MEC? Please share your experience!

Thanks

3. My advice would be not to worry until you need to!
    Im about to start SKE Maths in September, prior to PGCE Maths in September 2013. I actually spoke (at length) to the subject leader at the University, because although I completed all the coursework, in the end I didnt pass A level maths - even if I had done, its more years ago than I care to admit (Ive since had a long career in another area), and my knowledge is very rusty. I was advised to study a couple of Open University maths modules - one of which (MST121) the uni would accept instead of the A level, which im just finishing now.
    I think the key to all PGCE related queries is to speak directly to the University. Websites are excellent for giving a general overview, but we are all different, and it stands to reason that our circumstances may not fit the general information given on the website. Speaking directly to the University saves the danger of making assumptions which turn out to be wrong.
    Plus, particularly in the case of Maths, which is such a shortage subject, you might find that the uni is prepared to compromise in order to get a good candidate.
    Hope this helps.

4. I qualified as a secondary maths teacher 3 years ago without A level maths. I hadn't got A level maths when I came to apply for my degree course (Maths & Ed Studies) but spoke with the university who agreed that I could do a couple of Open University courses (MT101 & MST121) instead of the A level. This worked fine but I think you are in a better position even having not achieved a great A level grade - you have had the exposure to the maths & so it should be easier next time around! When I was doing my PGCE there were a couple of people who had done a subject enhancement course which had certainly got them up to speed with the maths needed.