1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematics : SMP 11-16 Booklets User Group

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by chriswillfowl, Sep 6, 2014.

1. I am looking to start an SMP 11-16 Booklet user group. I know these resources are loved by many and are out of print since 2004. The resources are slowly disappearing so I am in the process of scanning them so we don't lose these valuable resources forever and making them into PDF files with work spaces for students and links to the Khan academy and mymaths etc.

I have 60 Booklets, nearly all the worksheets, review sheets and answer books. However i am missing about 20 or so booklets that i would like to recover. My idea is to set up a user group and see how we can continue developing these great resources.

I attach an example of a PDF printable Booklet.

Hoping somebody out there is interested.

Chris Fowler

2. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Most definitely. I'm almost certain we had one complete set of these somewhere.

3. Hi Tony

Great to hear from you so quickly. Here is a list of the Booklets I am missing.

Number

Whole Numbers 1-6

Decimals 1-2-3

Fractions 1-2 & 4

Branching & Sharing

Ratio 2

Negative Numbers

Powerful Numbers

Large & Small Numbers

Fractions & Decimals1

Fractions & Decmals Ext 1,

Fractions & Decimals Ext3

Estimating

Algebra

Squaring & Cubing

Primes & Factors

Balancing 1 : Ext

Coordinates 1

Coordinates 2 Extension.

Coordinate Patterns

Number Sequences

Number Relationships

Doing & Undoing

Formulas Ext 1

Formulas Ext 2

Space

Maps, Plans & Grids

Circles & Lines

Area 1

Area 3

Scale Drawing 1 & 2

Are you still using the Booklets??

christopher.fowler@stfrancis.com.br

4. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

No, but I do remember there being a complete set of booklets tucked away somewhere. I'll check on Monday

I like the way that you have formatted the booklets (from the other thread) and I could definitely make good use of them

5. I am slowly putting them in Google Docs and can share them with you but it will take me a year I reckon to do the set.

6. auntiemaisie

auntiemaisie New commenter

I think we have kept about 20 of the draft booklets from the 1980s.

7. Woww they sound really old. Which ones?? Not any of the more recent ones??

8. Hi Auntie Masie can you let me know the names of the Booklets.

9. auntiemaisie

auntiemaisie New commenter

My husband taught in one of the schools that piloted the booklets - hence they are headed Draft. He left teaching in 1984 - the booklets were published in 1980. Have dug them out of our loft and we have around 40 - they included many of the titles in your earlier list eg Fractions 1, 2, 3.

PS Not sure about the "Woww they sound really old" - makes me feel ancient!!!

hammie likes this.
  10. OK well I started teaching in 1982!! I'm interested as I am sure they didn't change much and seeing the draft versions would be interesting.

Can you send me a list of the ones you have?

What I really need is good quality scans of each individual page, I don't actually need the books as I put the scans into a word template then save them as a PDF then share with students and teachers.

I would be happy to pay for the scanning, you can then upload the files onto a file sharing site called Dropbox.

Thanks for your interest looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris Fowler chriswillfowl@hotmail.com

11. Any luck finding the Booklets

Regards

Chris

12. Hi Auntie Maisie

Any chance you can let me know which Booklets you have.

Many Thanks

Chris

13. I was one of the SMP 11-16 authors but, sadly, didn't keep any of the materials. I am particularly anxious to get hold of the worksheet masters - some of which I believe to be marvellous (not mine, I hesitate to add :) ) Have these been scanned or converted to PDF files, does anyone know?

Chris - how can I access what you have compiled so far?

Kevin

14. I love this PDF scan of It Balances 1. I was one of the authors of the revised booklets and may even have contributed to this one (I cannot remember now!) I would be delighted to join you in this project.

15. Hi Kevin, nice to hear from you. If you send me your e-mail I will give you access to what i have in google docs. Perhaps you can help me find some of the booklets i am missing.

My e-mail is chriswillfowl@hotmail.com or christopher.fowler@stfrancis.com.br

16. Do you have contacts who might still have copies??

17. Hi Chris,

I am looking for a great set of resources with answers that I can use on level 3-4 year 7's.

These booklets look great. Can I please have a link to your dropbox?

Kind Regards

Billy

18. Hi Billy, I need your e-mail first, then I can share what i have so far in Google Docs. Do you have any access to SMP Booklets. If you want to write to my e-mail please look above.

Chris

19. pittskeFL

pittskeFL New commenter

20. Hi Chris, I have just found this forum and can't believe that these little booklets are still out there, I used them when i first started teaching and they were brilliant. I have been mourning their loss ever since. I love your sample booklet.

I am afraid I do not have any of them, I know it is a big ask....... but would love access to any SMP booklets you have done please Chris if that is possible as they would be great for my low ability Yr7/8 students.

Does anyone have the worksheets that go with the G series please? as I am trying to resurrect these to use with my low ability Yr 8

Kind Regards

Julia