1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematics/Numeracy Schemes- Help & Advice please!! :))

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ineedchocolate, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ineedchocolate

ineedchocolate New commenter

I am looking at introducing a new maths scheme of work at our independent Infant and Junior School. We currently use the Collins scheme. However, most of my colleagues and myself are unimpressed and uninspired with this scheme. I have been on 'Maths Makes Sense' course, but feel this is not right for us either. When browsing the internet, I can't actually find that much information about the other schemes- I have looked at Heinemann and Abacus Evolve.

What do other people use, or do some people use a bit of a few schemes? I would like something that gives really good, fun and sometimes practical lessons with some helpful support and extension work as well as differentiated work books/text books rather than just photocopying millions of worksheets! (A bug bear of mine!)

Thank you for reading, and any ideas and food for thought would be much appreciated.

:)

2. ineedchocolate

ineedchocolate New commenter

I am looking at introducing a new maths scheme of work at our independent Infant and Junior School. We currently use the Collins scheme. However, most of my colleagues and myself are unimpressed and uninspired with this scheme. I have been on 'Maths Makes Sense' course, but feel this is not right for us either. When browsing the internet, I can't actually find that much information about the other schemes- I have looked at Heinemann and Abacus Evolve.

What do other people use, or do some people use a bit of a few schemes? I would like something that gives really good, fun and sometimes practical lessons with some helpful support and extension work as well as differentiated work books/text books rather than just photocopying millions of worksheets! (A bug bear of mine!)

Thank you for reading, and any ideas and food for thought would be much appreciated.

:)

3. We have Abacus Evolve and we purchased November time.
    Its okay but be warned it doesnt fit the exact NNS as it was made under the old NNS units so we constantly have to check it is the right number of weeks and covers all the new objectives in each unit. However we mostly feel it is better than nothing

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'd much rather have nothing!

5. We have Abacu Evolve but it doesn't stretch the able, or even some of the average-have found it disappointing - I now search through various resources or make my own.

6. I've been using Abacus Evolve since December. It does have lots of practical activities and so far seems to be easy to resource, especially if you get the interactive whiteboard CD (I'm Y6 by the way). Unlike the old Abacus, the different components mostly seem to be included in the detailed planning that comes with it (in the Teachers Toolkit). The ICT-based Maths CDs seem pretty good, especially the Talk Maths and the Individual Practice Software. We also got the Challenge Textbook which doesn't so much stretch the higher achievers as go into the existing topics in more depths by using investigations, which I feel is a lot better than just giving them "harder work". We bought everything in the Abacus Evolve package and so far I can't complain. I don't need to look for anything else to supplement it and the planning is done so I just run with it.

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We use Abacus too and it's very easy to teach from. The challenge book is good too. We also have an old Heiniman scheme which is better for meeting the needs of the more able. The Abacus textbooks are pretty easy for the average child. I don't use them and make my own activities to suit my children's abilities.

8. do you have the challenge books also?

9. I'm our Maths Co-ordinator, we purchased Abacus Evolve 2 years ago and I am very happy with it as our base scheme. We add investigations and activities from Nrich and utilise resources such as Pitch and Expecations also. At times I feel the group activities can be not demanding enough but I know teachers adapt as needed. Overall our students seem to really enjoy the greater variety of activities in the lessons now and are making very good progress. I like the way teachers are able to spend more time planning for specific needs in their classes and gathering practical resources for these children as the base plan is so quick to complete. I do agree that not all the ojectives are covered in the same way as the PNS but as there is only 30 weeks in the scheme planned for we adapt the plans to cater for this.

10. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

We use bits of the Collins and Longman schemes and Target Maths text books, plus anything else individual teachers find...nrich for example.

11. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

12. I've never worked in a school that has just used one scheme predominantly. At my previous school we had lots of resources from various schemes ie abacus evolve/heinemann and collins; it then meant teachers could pick and choose what they wanted to use. I mainly used the Abacus evolve stuff but never just by itself as i dont feel it's practical enough.
    I also find the Maths on Target books useful as there are 3 levels of questions for each topic and some of it is quite tricky, especially the year 6 stuff!