1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematics mastery, help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sophiefishwick, Mar 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. sophiefishwick

sophiefishwick New commenter

Hi All,

Our school wants to introduce maths mastery but I’m quite confused with a few things.

-how long should be spent on an objective? For example, year 3 count in multiples of 50.

- when is reasoning and problem solving introduced?

- how do you differentiate?

I’ve looked on some of the example plans but I don’t think they’re clear enough for how many lessons are needed and when reasoning and problem solving come in.

TIA

2. DFC

DFC New commenter

Has your school linked up with a local Maths Hub? They can support at whole school level helping answer the types of questions you are asking. Hubs do not charge for their services! In fact you get money...

Ask your Maths Lead for support and see if a hub might be able to support you.

3. gmailcom

gmailcom New commenter

Hi, I teach "mastery" in Year 1.

Re. problem solving and reasoning, they should be present in every lesson. Try to move away from using them just as an extension or higher ability task. All ability levels need to be given opportunities to apply the knowledge and understanding, that they have, to reasoning.

Re. differentiation, I use two strategies. The one evident in books is how many recorded questions a child completes: I have my task questions sliced up so that there are perhaps 3 to work through in a lesson. This prevents a child sticking in a whole sheet and only completing half which doesn't look good and can make them feel they've not done well. I may use judgement to start the most able on the 2nd task, etc.

The probably most important form of differentiation though is adult support and concrete, or pictorial modelling. Some ability groups will be kept back for additional concrete work with manipulatives before working in their books, for example, and whilst therefore may they may record the same in their books as another group, they will have experienced diferentiated support.

Never be afraid to set different ability groups the same lesson end expectation - as long as you supoport the less able appropriately yourself to achieve !

4. thara9643

thara9643 New commenter

Hello!

I work as a primary and secondary school math tutor. For kids in year six and below, I really prefer to use my best judgement as much as possible. But I also take a quick look at the child’s assessment result irregardless of whether it was a formal proper assessment or informal teacher led tests that was done in class as well. Homework is given according to those results. I develop a flexible scheme of work which is loosely based on the results.

I also like to read school reports in addition so that I can quickly identify any strengths and mentally note any weaknesses. This is key in helping me to decide how best to plan lessons and then help the pupil so they work to the very best of their individual ability. One way I currently do this is to use old year six SATs practice papers and level descriptors to carefully yet accurately evaluate the child’s ability and understanding of maths. For high school pupils, I rely on the numerical grade descriptors and also form my opinion from marking and evaluating the work they do for me.

This includes any homework which is set by me at the end of the class for the child to do. All my resources are selected on the basis of the test results and any areas of weaknesses that are identified by reading quickly the end of year progress reports.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

@sophiefishwick You posted this a few weeks ago, but it's probably not too late to reply, right?

The way I understand Maths Mastery is the emphasis on problem solving and reasoning as a part of the objective. It may not be that different to how you're already teaching, or it might be very different. It's the difference between considering the objective completed because (for example) a child can complete a worksheet of multiplication calculations, and considering the objective completed when the child can correctly work out the answers to problems like "If I need 70 eggs, how many boxes of six eggs do I need to buy?"