1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematics Association

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon261, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi
    I just wondered if anyone was registered with a mathematics association - I would like to register but don't really know anything about them other than it's a good way of keeping up to date?...

Thanks
    G24

2. Hi
    I just wondered if anyone was registered with a mathematics association - I would like to register but don't really know anything about them other than it's a good way of keeping up to date?...

Thanks
    G24

3. DM

DM New commenter

4. DM

DM New commenter

Just investigated your background and would suggest you start here (because it is free and will help to keep you up to date):

National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/

5. Excellent stuff!! Thank you! [​IMG]

6. i am, and dm is
    i have to confess, i joined partly out of nostalgia, having been at uni with gerry leversha - but i do like their publications - in fact, one of my new year's resolution is to devote more time to reading them, having had a fun week trawling through 3 past magazines
    there's a magazine for primary teachers, one for secondary teachers, though i nick stuff from that, as i run gat groups 'equals' for sen (though i still pick ideas out of that too) and the journal thingy, but i don't actually read that - it's way above my pay grade [​IMG]
    i get:
    • ideas for classroom use - either new or improvements to lessons i already teach
    • links to websites ditto
    • srticles to keep my brain ticking over
    • occasional books to buy
    i don't myself go on any of the courses advertized, but i can see they could be useful
    hmm - you caught me in a seriously enthusiastic moment [​IMG]

7. oops - sorry dm - daughter called me to look at something and consequently crossed-posted when i finallt got back

8. DM

DM New commenter

That's Gerry's bit! Where's your loyalty?

9. dm - i would if i could - it's like asking me to read serbo-croat - i am a humble ks2 teacher, remember
    (i could never understand a thing he did at uni either - he was doing his doctorate whilst i was plodding thro my bsc - that was more like looking at sanskrit)
    but i did get to sleep on his sofa in his bedroom after a party once [​IMG] - now, there's a claim to fame!!!!