1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematicians who can work this out...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by BizzyLoz, Oct 27, 2019.

1. BizzyLoz

BizzyLoz New commenter

Hi,

I am employed two days per week, so contract states 0.4.
    However, this is not a regular school day (or setting, I won't go into details here) so I am teaching 6 full hours every day. I also cover both breaks of 15 minutes each. Manager has stated that working hours are 8:15-4:15.
    I currently have no PPA factored into timetable (I have raised this and is 'being looked at') but it may be a case of adding the 10% PPA time as additional payment and effectively be paid to work PPA at home.
    Obviously working Contracted hours of 8:15-4:15 daily goes over the 1265 hours.
    Can anybody calculate what I should be contracted at? It is more than 0.4. Including additional PPA payment too? I am M6. Contract IS subject to standard STPCD.

Thanks if you got this far...

2. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

1265/5 = 253 hours per year per day worked. (0.2)
    Assuming a working year of 39 weeks
    253/39= 6.49 hours per day (round to 6 1/2 hours)
    So 0.4 = 12.98 hours (round to 13 hours)
    Out of those hours you receive 1.3 hours PPA. If you choose to be paid for these rather than having them taken from your 2 days, that equals 7.8 days additional pay over the year.

3. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

So if you're being asked to work 8.15 to 4.15, assuming a 30 minute lunch break, you're working 7.5 hours per day, 15 hours per week. That equates to an additional 78 hours a year you're not being paid for.

4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

1265 / 195 = 6.487179 per day
    As you state 6 hours teaching and 0.5 on break that's just over...the excess adds up to 1 hour extra in the year.

As for your PPA I'd say that your timetable represents 90%, so your contract should be 0.444444... pushing it to 0.45 would make up for the extra hour.

However you would also need to look at what other directed time is required from you - do you have to attend any meetings, functions or parents' evenings?

Additionally, from what I've read elsewhere on these forums (i.e. get proper advice and don't take my word for it), your proportion of directed time should equate to full-time staff allocations - so if a full time member of staff isn't budgeted for the full 1265 then you shouldn't be at your proportion of 1265 either.

5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

"Mathematicians who can work this out..." = you need help from someone more numerate than you posed as a challenge to mathematicians.

Top advice, seconded.

Join a union if you aren't already in one. Then ask the union.
    If you are already in a union, why aren't you asking the union?

Union subs can be the best spent money you ever fork out on 'insurance'.

A lot of fools and people with hidden agendas bash the unions on these fora...don't fall into this bad company.

Piranha likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

PPA is supposed to be at least 10% of your teaching time, to be taken during the normal teaching day. So, if you teach 12 hours a week, then it should be 1.2 hours. With agreement from the school, that could be taken at home. The other thing that concerns me is your directed hours. The 1,265 full time limit in STPCD works out at very close to 6.5 hours per day. If you are directed to be in school for the whole day (which I think would be illegal - you are entitled to a break of at least 20 minutes), then you are way above the limit. Even if you get an hour at lunch, that is still too much, and this ignores PPA.

I am sure we could do various calculations to produce different amounts by which you are being underpaid, for which we would need to know the length of your lunch break and what other directed hours there are, for meetings, parents' evening etc. I reckon I could produce something pretty accurate with that information. But, you are not going to get anywhere going to your line manager with calculations from a TES forum. As @afterdark advises above, you really need decent support, and a union is the obvious place to get it. Somehow, I doubt if you are the only person being taken advantage of at your school.

strawbs likes this.