1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematican's Retirement Party - ideas welcome

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by valed, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Well, it is finally upon me .......
    ... 8th of April will be my last day in a classroom.
    It has been a blast [mainly] but I have managed to escape with some semblance of my sanity in tact and without having attacked anyone!
    Going to have a party, for sure, so what ideas do you have?

2. A "Secret Santa" in my department bought me a book entitled, "Mathematics and Sex" for Christmas. Supposedly a serious journey, it includes chapters,'Road testing the bed: how much sex is too much sex?', 'How ovaries count and balls add up', and 'Orgasm'.
    Obviously an orgy is the least you should expect!

3. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Wow - congratulations.
    I feel like I should stand up and take my hat off to acknowledge the passing of a forum legend!

4. That's a bit morbid Nazard!
    I could donate an effigy for you to burn in a celebration bonfire if you like Valed [​IMG]

5. Wake, smile, work.
    Get the obligatory brown cardboard box for your mug, the only one maths book you want to take and the half dead cactus off your desk.
    More importantly, collect ample Supply/Cover teaching forms, put them in a safe place at the back of your briefcase and enjoy the day saying "Im never coming back......."

6. blue117

blue117 New commenter

OK - so all the people (you choose who, Valed) sit in a circle and Valed comes in with a sword and 'removes' every 10th person and the one who respects maths as a discipline will know where to sit
    Plenty of waterproof clothing required

7. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Is it just me or some of the replies above suggestive of insanity in the posters?
    <strike></strike>

8. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Especially referring to the post about doing Cover - who in their right mind would suggest that!!

9. I'm retiring not expiring! [​IMG]

10. No, Mike! It's ME TOO! [​IMG]
    Bloody mad, the lot of them.
    I want a party ....... !!!

11. Anecdotally it seems that you get home and do 2-3 months of just enjoying it and then for many it seems staring out of the window every day is too much of a slow down and they end up either doing supply or exam invigilation.
    I already have my allotment ready for 12 years time.

12. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

By golly, if they ever let me retire one day, I hope I'm up for more than staring out of the window...

13. Yes Sure, I agree but you would be suprised. Many get it right, many dont.
    He is quick snippet from one one many outlooks
    Moving from a busy profession to a life of retirement can be a positive change, if managed well.

Times Educational Supplement, December 2009
    With up to 54,000 teachers currently considering retirement, many will be busy planning ahead for a smooth departure from the teaching profession. Some will be concerned about money, while others will worry about the emotional and psychological effects of retirement.
    To cope with the change from classroom chaos to long, endless days at home, retirees can take effective steps to manage the transition. Gary Robertshaw, Course Manager at the Teachers' Retirement Agency suggests that variety is the key. &ldquo;Avoid mind numbing routine. Be reckless and spontaneous sometimes! It&rsquo;ll make you feel refreshed and give you something new to talk about.&rdquo;
    Patrick Nash, chief executive of the Teacher Support Network agrees: &ldquo;Hobbies can be a great way to enjoy your spare time, meet new people, try new activities and learn new skills.&rdquo; Try contacting local authorities, read local newspapers and check notice boards at doctors&rsquo; surgeries for social events and health activities, he advises. &ldquo;Alternatively you could always start up your own coffee afternoon or games club if nothing available appeals to you,&rdquo; says Patrick.
    &ldquo;Retirement can be an exciting time but may present new problems and challenges continues Patrick. Some retirees may feel stressed owing to changes in personal relationships, such as spending more time together with a partner; or maybe a loved one has fallen ill or passed away. For those in that situation, Patrick suggests contacting <font size="2" face="Arial" color="#444444">Relate</font>, a relationship counseling charity, or <font size="2" face="Arial" color="#444444">Cruse Bereavement Care</font> , a national charity for bereaved people.
    Here are some useful tips from the Teacher Support Network and the Teachers' Retirement Agency:
    Travel around
    Travel is free by bus for those over 60, and discounted by rail, so if you&rsquo;re feeling up to it you could bus your way from North to South England or anywhere else you&rsquo;d like to travel. With free travel there&rsquo;s no excuse to stay at home so get out and about, visit friends and relatives, and see more of England.

Keep time for yourself
    If you&rsquo;re in a relationship, you could find yourself spending more time with your partner which can be fulfilling but can also feel a little strange if you&rsquo;re not used to this, says Gary. Make sure that you keep time for yourself and agree this with your partner so that they understand.

Enjoy it, don&rsquo;t endure it
    &ldquo;It&rsquo;s really about choices,&rdquo; says Alan Farnish, course leader at the Teachers&rsquo; Retirement Agency. &ldquo;There are hundreds of routes to choose from because there is no one way to spend retirement. People need to ask themselves what choice they are making and why they are going down that route.&rdquo;

It&rsquo;s impossible to know how long you&rsquo;ll live for, but we do have average life expectancy rates. Better diets, exercise and medical knowledge mean that we can all expect to live a darn sight longer than previous generations, so retirement can literally be seen as another life-time. Plan carefully and enjoy your golden years.

14. Well, apart from going places I want to see and doing things I want to do, I will be
    Carrying on the Genealogy thing - check this out click
    Marking on-line 4 times a year
    A-level S1 tutoring [can you find one locally? They can't here!]
    etc etc
    Above all, I will not be doing supply / cover. Not a chance. Never have, never will, never want to!

15. Cover is probably ok whilst the pupils still remember the person as a regular teacher, a couple of years down the line it probably isn't any fun at all.

Good on you Valed for making a clean break, all the best with everything.

16. Good plans, nice variety and something to keep your mind active with genealogy
    I also agree on the point made about going back when new kids come through the system and see tyou as a 'stand in'

17. Valed, any chance you could get yourself on one of these education committees that decide what we're teaching for the next 10 years?

And best of luck by the way. I hope to be fit enough to cycle round the country when the time comes....

18. If I could, I would really push the Functional Skills agenda - mind you, my questions would probably involve a lot of beer, chocolate, rugby, cricket and football scenarios [​IMG]
    Just watched Arsenal beat Barcelona
    That Messi is quite tidy, inne?

19. April 8th looms ......
    ... just been told they are organising a leaving dinner for me on APRIL 1st! [​IMG]

So, that's 62 lessons .....
    ....... 3100 minutes [​IMG]
    ...... 51 hours 40 minutes .... [​IMG]

Tick - tock [​IMG]