1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematical skills in science

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Kevinberry03, May 1, 2012.

1. I know all you fantastic maths teachers are really busy, but could you help me with this.
    Open the link below to Edexcel additional science specifications, (it opens a PDF) and go to page 31. This is a list of the mathematical skills expected in additional science
    Could you then give me your professional opinion of what level of maths would be needed to meet this skills in a maths exam. MAny thanks to any one who helps
    Regards
    Kevin
    http://tinyurl.com/chszbe2

2. I know all you fantastic maths teachers are really busy, but could you help me with this.
    Open the link below to Edexcel additional science specifications, (it opens a PDF) and go to page 31. This is a list of the mathematical skills expected in additional science
    Could you then give me your professional opinion of what level of maths would be needed to meet this skills in a maths exam. MAny thanks to any one who helps
    Regards
    Kevin
    http://tinyurl.com/chszbe2

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

(Someone might be nice enough to state the NC levels for you, but I'm afraid that's not going to be me..)

Anyway, looking at the list, the topics identified for Foundation will certainly have been covered by maths Foundation level candidates and the additional topics for Higher will have been covered by maths Higher candidates.

(Except I notice significant figures is in the Foundation spec. Significant Figures is a relatively high level issue in maths and I don't think it's often taught at Foundation.)

Some of the statistics will have received little attention though - percentiles and deciles are unlikely to have been covered significantly (I'm not sure offhand if deciles are in our spec...) and, depending on the way your maths department approaches its course, quartiles & histograms with unequal class intervals might be something left to late in year 11.

Also, although it's not listed in that spec, you should know that "line of best fit" is always a straight line for us - I believe you often fit to a curve.

4. Come now, Foundation tier kids NEVER have to work out how to plot a graph. The axes are always given to them. This isn't the case in Science.
    Agree on the line of best fit thingy - we don't even go beyond linear equations at A-level these days. Significant figures are taught, but rarely understood. Deciles are not on GCSE specifications; quartiles are, but only really on the higher tier.
    But we aren't dumbing down, honest!

cyolba, not bothering to look at the link :)