1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Mathematical Shape Language in EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cheeryelle, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I could be wrong but I teach simple 2D shapes so circle, triangle, square, rectangle (oblong) and pentagon and on a lot of my resources these shapes appear. For those more able I introduce more shapes just names though and sides.
    3D shapes again I go through them all but focus on a simple selction, sphere, cube etc.
    Then I teach faces, sides, vertices (and say oooo this is a posh word for corners)
    But this was later in the year with children higher points what would not be expected/exceeding.
    Hope this helps in sme way,
    x

2. EXPLORING PATTERNS, SHAPE AND SPACE

shape, pattern
    flat

curved, straight
    round

hollow, solid

corner

face, side, edge, end
    sort

make, build, draw

3D SHAPES

cube
    pyramid
    sphere
    cone

2D SHAPES

circle
    triangle
    square
    rectangle
    star

PATTERNS AND SYMMETRY

size

bigger, larger, smaller
    symmetrical

pattern

repeating pattern
    match

Having said that if they are ready for more complex shapes then I do have them and talk about them.

I remember on bright spark a couple of years ago who brought me her snack pot to put the lid back on and commented that it was hexagonal!!!

3. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Hi there is a mathematics vocab book for reception up to year 6. Im not sure where you will find it now, but I imagine there will be one in your school.
    Im in nursery and we learn the name of the 2d and common 3d shapes and we name their properties.. sides, corners (vertices), faces. Our children have no problem learning this new vocab at a young age, just as lots of what they learn is new. So I would go for teaching it all to them :) .