1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mathematical Development -size. HELP!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lauly, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hello Everyone

I am pretty new to this!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice for mathematical developmen.

I am in a Reception class in a walsh school so we ar Foundation phase - and am doing the subject of size in the new year. I am wanting to get my 'satisfactories' up to a 'good' or 'excellent' and am really wanting to impress. It has been a long hard journey for me so far and I am confident I will 'get it' in the end but I want to get as much advice if poss!

So I am doing size in Mathematical Development - I wanted to know if anyone already knows any really great topics to do for this? Books? The teacher ked a session on Goldilocks and the Three bears and I do not want to do that again, so wanted to know if there were any other books which would be suitable.

Many thanks!

Lauly

2. Hello Everyone

I am pretty new to this!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice for mathematical developmen.

I am in a Reception class in a walsh school so we ar Foundation phase - and am doing the subject of size in the new year. I am wanting to get my 'satisfactories' up to a 'good' or 'excellent' and am really wanting to impress. It has been a long hard journey for me so far and I am confident I will 'get it' in the end but I want to get as much advice if poss!

So I am doing size in Mathematical Development - I wanted to know if anyone already knows any really great topics to do for this? Books? The teacher ked a session on Goldilocks and the Three bears and I do not want to do that again, so wanted to know if there were any other books which would be suitable.

Many thanks!

Lauly

3. What about 'Titch' by Pat Hutchins, or "You'll Soon Grow into them Titch", or 'The Three Billy Goats Gruff'.

4. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

Yes - Titch is a great book to use for size. You can easily enhance other areas to incorporate size - different nesting items on Maths tables. different sized bowls, spoons for sand, water or role play and maybe different sized milk containers (empty and washed!) as they are familiar to the children and are readily available in different sizes ...... Then its about making sure you and other adults constantly model the language you are looking for ..... Good luck!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. I use those dolls too Msz. IKEA used to sell a set of different coloured circular boxes with lids that fitted in each other; on't know if they are still available, but my kids loved them. I also make an activity sheet of the same thing in different sizes randomly positioned on a paper. The kids cut them out (odd number) and have to seriate from largest to smallest or vice versa. They then have to put a circle around the one that is the middle-sized. That is tricky for many. Provides evidence.

7. You could have a box of clothes - some enormous and some for babies which the children could try on and see which ones fit - if you wanted they could also photograph themselves in the different clothes they try on - then you could share the photos altogether and talk about how they look - too big, too small etc! You would also get some different language from this like enormous, fit, long etc