1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity - Who should be setting/marking work?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by lilly h, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone
    I am the subject leader in a department of two. At february half term, the other teacher will leave for her maternity leave. I am very concerned as to how my school will deal with this situation. It seems that they may try to cover her using our cover supervisors till summer. Can anyone tell me if this is 'allowed' and if so who should be setting work/marking work? I do feel like I'm going to have double the workload for the next 12 months, with no more pay. It is times like these where I the £2000 extra a year to be 'in charge' does not seem worth it!!
    Any thoughts out there???
    Thanks
    Lilly

2. Hi Everyone
    I am the subject leader in a department of two. At february half term, the other teacher will leave for her maternity leave. I am very concerned as to how my school will deal with this situation. It seems that they may try to cover her using our cover supervisors till summer. Can anyone tell me if this is 'allowed' and if so who should be setting work/marking work? I do feel like I'm going to have double the workload for the next 12 months, with no more pay. It is times like these where I the £2000 extra a year to be 'in charge' does not seem worth it!!
    Any thoughts out there???
    Thanks
    Lilly

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Trouble is, if they promote someone like that, you often still end up spending a lot of time supporting, coaching, going through stuff with them. All good for the CV though.
    P