1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maternity wear

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by confusedaspie, May 10, 2012.

1. confusedaspie

confusedaspie New commenter

Hi mummies wondered if you could spare a few seconds to help.

currently pregnant with my first, and have had some problems getting stylish, half decent but not too expensive maternity wear. Now it might be the baby brain, but have got it into my head that it would be a great idea to pet up some kind of maternity wear shop, probably online. However not sure if there is a true need or whether its just been me whos had probs with clothing. Would be really greatful if you could answer any of these questions

How have you found maternity wear shopping?
    What things have you bought?
    How have you found the choice?
    The price?
    If a new shop was pet up what would you like it to offer that is not currently offered/is offered but you would like to change?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!x

2. confusedaspie

confusedaspie New commenter

Hi mummies wondered if you could spare a few seconds to help.

currently pregnant with my first, and have had some problems getting stylish, half decent but not too expensive maternity wear. Now it might be the baby brain, but have got it into my head that it would be a great idea to pet up some kind of maternity wear shop, probably online. However not sure if there is a true need or whether its just been me whos had probs with clothing. Would be really greatful if you could answer any of these questions

How have you found maternity wear shopping?
    What things have you bought?
    How have you found the choice?
    The price?
    If a new shop was pet up what would you like it to offer that is not currently offered/is offered but you would like to change?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!x

3. Hi confused,
    I've had mixed experiences! Our local small cty has a New Look which stocks a small range,as does Asda. My normal shopping town, however, has nothing at all! I bought trousers & jeans first, but as I have got bigger, I've added a dress and quite a few tops to my maternity capsule wardrobe! Tights were the hardest thing to find, and a swimming costume to be able to go to aquanatal - I ended up in Mothercare for those, but even there the choice wasn't great... I bought a couple of bundles from eBay (mostly tops) but some are a bit more worn than their sellers made out.
    As for prices, I have found they vary enormously. New Look, etc are reasonably well priced, but I hae found Mothercare overly expensive. I visited Jojo Maman & Bebe over Easter while away and was jobsmacked by how much they charge for the basics. I don't really want to spend more than I would usually on clothes (New Look & Primark for work wear, Next & M&S for weekend wear)

4. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

Hi there,

I didn't have too many problems. I did most of my shopping at H&M-assorted tops and some dresses; Mothercare-jeggings and a long cardigan; Mama's&Papa's- a pair of jeans, as well as nursing tops for after-all purchased on sale or on offer 3for2 as they can be a bit pricey; JoJo Mama-a top and shorts on sale as they also tend to be pricey; Mark's and Sparks-for bras, knickers, and tights; Gap-for a swimsuit; and ebay- for a nursing top and a Belly Bandit. I also got loads of hand-me-downs from my sister and a friend and was able to wear a few of my summer dresses and my leggings before the bump got too big. I didn't need a jacket as had a non-maternity wool poncho/cape that still fit. I did find that while many brands offer maternity wear that I needed to research which locations actually carried it as not all branches do. Also the size selection was better in some stores than others. I was a 10 at the start of the pregnancy and a 12/14 towards the end and found the pickings slim at times. I also preferred going into shops over ordering online as the one or two things I did order online had to be sent back because the fit wasn't right even though I had ordered according to the size guidelines.

I guess it depends on your personal style as well as the dresscode at your workplace. I'm a teacher in the Nursery so was able to wear what I normally do, just in maternity wear.

Hope this helps!

5. What would I like?
    I'm a size 22/24 (was a 28 so we're making progress). I did the entire pregnancy on two pairs of black jersey trousers from Next and a limited selection of my normal tops (thankfully a lot of what I wear was empire line - kick out under your chest - style so I could get away with it). Reason I had to do that was that the selection of plus-size stuff for maternity is abysmal... and the places that DO do it either cost the earth - or are catalogue type places that run credit checks on you with your first order - and I don't like unecessary credit checks when I'm paying immediately via debit card.
    Actually I tell a lie - I bought one maternity top, wore it to go out tutoring one night - my tutoring mum had the same top on and therefore had to 'fess up there was something she hadn't been telling me - made me laugh with the coincidence of it.
    I've muttered dark things myself about setting up a plus size maternity wear shop... but then I also concluded the other day that there was an unexploited market for birthing balls - if we put handles on them and made them into birthing space hoppers it would make that bouncing the baby out thing much more fun.

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I managed to find some nice clothes when I was pregnant, and I also borrowed some from a friend. I had some lovely dresses from JoJoMamanBébé - a maxi dress and a work dress - and also a couple from Mamas & papas, and some leggings. I also had some nice tops/dresses from H&M. I got some black work trousers from Mothercare, and jeans from Dorothy Perkins. My tankini was from Next.
    In my first pregnancy I was able to wear non-maternity clothes for ages as I didn't really show until 24 weeks, and then my bump was really high, but 2nd time I had a really low bump and was in maternity clothes from about 14 weeks.
    I think maternity clothes are quite expensive from places like M&P and and JoJo, but then again I usually buy non-maternity dresses from shops like Oasis and Warehouse, so the price isn't really any different from that.

7. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I struggled to find cheap maternity jeans, especially ones in my length (about 30" inside leg). I ended up buying ones from peacocks for £18 but now they are closing it will be hard to find anything as cheap.
    Also, the leggings I bought were all miles too long - had to fold them over at the bottom.
    I hated the trousers / jeans that were under the bump, i couldn't get them to stay up.
    i also hate how low cut the maternity tops are, just because I was pregnant didn't mean I wanted to show of my new boobs that much!!!

8. fairy78

fairy78 New commenter

Bought all of my maternity clothes on Ebay - there's tons, some of it good quality and some of it naff. The bundles are pretty good. Having been into Jo Jo Maman and Mothercare (only two shops near me) I decided I could have a lot more clothes at a fraction of the cost. Have been living in a pair of Next jeans which I love and they fit really well. Anything that hasn't looked good or is the wrong size I've sold back. Sorted!

9. I thought it would be easier to get maternity clothes in stores rather than them being stocked online (my usual shopping destination is a large northern city!). I was lucky to be given a bag full of stuff from a friend and a bag full of stuff from my sister in law - rescued me from the craziness of trying to find work clothes (im secondary with resp). Otherwise I bought jeans from next, leggings/jersey tops from DPs and a couple of luxuries in the sale from Mamas and Papas. Gap stock some brilliant basics, but the sizing is a bit small, a dress I bought in a M (Im normally an S) was far too snug and wasnt worn for the last couple of weeks. Watch out for tops being too small, my bust was the first thing to grow and I found that "buy your pre-maternity size" wasnt applicable.
    I couldnt praise the M&S bra ladies enough! And I wont be buying nursing vest tops as Ive found that the next size up in Primark £2.50 vests fit my 38 week belly just fine!! And they have adjustable straps.
    Tx

10. Difficult at first until I figured out who did ranges in store and who did ranges only online. After that not a big problem really. I'm a university lecturer so need a range of clothing from v smart to casual for my day to day wear but I managed just fine.
    Skirts, tops and dresses mainly. I was given some jeans and trousers. I loved ASOS maternity wear and got loads in their sale including staples liek white shirts.
    Generally fine if I bought in sales
    Quite honestly I think there are plenty of retailers out there. What is needed is a site that points you to where you can buy both on the high street and online and is regularly updated.

11. I found it hard to get stuff to fit because I am tall. They seem to think all preg women are 5'6". And dont get me started on the skinny jeans I mean ***?

12. I think there are certain under-met markets out there for maternity wear - tall women, petite women and plus size probably. Like I said before - plus size is a nightmare, especially past size 20 which seems to be where lots stop, or run one single line in their entire stock in a size 22 (thank God for the Next black jersey trousers which I lived in). Over-bump stuff seems to be harder and harder to find as well - fine if you've got a nice, toned bump to show off a bit - not so fine if it's the middle of winter and you've got a ridiculous-B-shaped bump that you're relying on over-bump trousers to round out and make look sensible.

13. I struggled to get maternity bras - M&S don't go big enough in their maternity range, so it was Mothercare or nowhere. Trying to find swimwear was equally challenging, and even Mothercare's choices weren't great - my swimsuit fits great around my bump, but there's little/no room or support for my increasingly large boobs!

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Do Bravissimo do maternity bras/swimsuits? I guess they'd be really expensive.Mine was from Next, but it didn't really have a lot of support. My bras were from Mamas & Papas. They were ok.
    I think they need to make nicer nursing bras though that are affordable!

15. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

I got the bras I wore during my pregnancy from M&S, but then I only went up to a 36C (from a 34A/B). They were just non-underwire ones from the non-maternity range, as the ones I tried on from the maternity range made me feel like I had raided my grandmas lingerie drawer!! They seemed to come up way to high and provided a little too much coverage. I tried maternity bras on elsewhere and they all seemed to have the same effect. For nursing bras, I looked online at Figleaves. I ordered two to start from Emma Jane and then once I had received them and tried them on I ordered two more. Nothing fancy, just two black and two white and 100% cotton, but they do the job. Think they were only 13 pounds each as well so cheaper than the options in M&P, Mothercare, etc. I do agree, however, they do need to make nicer nursing bras as all the pretty looking ones seem to cost the earth!

I wasn't very impressed with swimsuits either. I wore my normal bikini for the beginning, but eventually found one at Gap that I still wear, 5 months after having LO, as I'm not ready to get my tummy out in the open yet! Still have about 20 pounds to shift (which I suppose isn't too bad I guess as I think I gained about 40)!

16. I'd settle for nursing bras that don't randomly unclip as you're walking around, leaving you suddenly in the middle of Tescos with one breast hanging five inches lower than the other.
    And on a semi-related bra note... I'm sure science and invention can come up with underwiring that doesn't escape and try to stab you through the heart by lunchtime... I'm positive that if it were MEN'S underwear randomly deciding to try to kill them the problem would have been researched and solved long long ago. (But that one's not maternity wear related)

17. I second Ebay - picked up some excellent bargins!

I got by first time round with 1 pair of jeans (didn't fit in these beyond 25wks.....maternity jeans are rubbish!), maternity yoga/sweat pants, long denim skirt, a couple of plain black tops, a dress and some tunics. This time round I'm going to pick up some leggings. The tunics were not maternity ones - got them approx 3 sizes bigger than my usual size from M&S and they did me right through to the end.

As for bras, the name is terrible BUT Hot Milk do some lovely bfing bras :)

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I think i gained more than that!! My daughter was 1 on Saturday and i've lost about 30lbs since she was 7 weeks old, and i guess i lost maybe a stone in the first few weeks, including her weight which was 8lbs 10! I'm about the same size now as I was when i got pregnant with her (although my boobs are still bigger) but I weigh more. I can wear clothes that fit before i got pregnant with my first child, but still have more of a muffin top!
    Yeah, i found that. I really wanted an underwired one, but then i struggled to BF and ended up mix feeding and then just formula after 11 weeks, so i didn't want to spend a fortune.

19. Oh to be able to fit in "ordinary" bras! I was rather large before I got pregnant and needed the "plus size" bras anyway. I hate being without underwires; I have never worn soft cup bras before. The ones I have are hiddeous and so expensive that I only have two black & two white. I think i probably need to get some bigger ones, but I just can't afford to spend my whole month's spending oney on them :(

20. Completely know where you are coming from LMC - I've been in soft cup ones from 10 weeks (with the exception of some early preg nights out) and miss my underwiring and moulded cups!
    I've been in M&S nursing bras for a few weeks now due to size and need to get a couple more for when LO arrives, but the cost (as so many others has said) is crazy. M&S had a sale on the other day but had sold out of my size - might be worth a look for the rest of you.
    Tx