1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity - summer pay dilemma

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cremeegg, Jan 20, 2012.

1. cremeegg

cremeegg New commenter

Hi all
    I am doing a maternity cover at a school I love. The lady I am replacing verbally said she'd be looking at coming back in sept 2012. I have therefore started looking for a new job.

I chatted to a colleague today about my search, and she said I might not have to go: maybe the lady would want to come back part time, meaning I potentially could stay on. But what was for sure was that she'd be back for the last week of the summer in order to get her summer paid.

I had a hunch I'd lose my summer pay in this way, but if they DO ask me to stay on (which I would love to do), whether it be full or part time, can they then not pay me the summer?

Would they go so far as to end my contract in July and then give me a new one from September?

Confused!

thanks in advance for your help xx

2. cremeegg

cremeegg New commenter

Hi all
    I am doing a maternity cover at a school I love. The lady I am replacing verbally said she'd be looking at coming back in sept 2012. I have therefore started looking for a new job.

I chatted to a colleague today about my search, and she said I might not have to go: maybe the lady would want to come back part time, meaning I potentially could stay on. But what was for sure was that she'd be back for the last week of the summer in order to get her summer paid.

I had a hunch I'd lose my summer pay in this way, but if they DO ask me to stay on (which I would love to do), whether it be full or part time, can they then not pay me the summer?

Would they go so far as to end my contract in July and then give me a new one from September?

Confused!

thanks in advance for your help xx

3. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

I'm in the same position as you. My contract says that I am employed until Dec 2012 or until the return of the post holder. I assume your contract will be something similar if your appointment was for maternity cover. If that's the case, then presumably your current contract will end on the return of the post holder, and then the school can choose when to start your new contract, if you are lucky enough to be able to stay on.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I do wonder, in these cases, whether a school might be persuaded to keep you on a 0.1 (or even smaller) contract over the summer, so that you do not lose continuity of service. Of course, there's no benefit to the school in doing so, but a sympathetic head might find a way.

5. You need to ask the school or LEA directly as each one is different. In the last two summer terms I worked on different maternity contracts and in both cases I managed to get paid for the summer even though both post holders came back in the last week. I worked from the Jan to end of the summer term. In the first, I was employed by the LEA and they said that if she was back in the last week, it was automatic, but she came back one day earlier and the school tried to argue that I shouldn't get it, LEA stood up for me. Somehow I didn't even have to work the last week In the second school, it was directly through the school and there was no question that I would get it. I worked till the end of term. However I know that I was very lucky in both cases (TG as I support all three of us on my salary!. Each school is different.

6. Oh and also the post holder doesn't need to give notice of when to come back till a month before, and is very likely to come back full time to get all the maternity payments before making a decision on changing to part time. Sad but true for you as it leaves it very late to get another job!