1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity & Students

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by tara196, Sep 12, 2018.

1. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Hi all,

Just wanting some advice/feedback really. I'm fully booked this year for students many of which were secured before the summer holidays. I am expecting my first baby in February and discovered this during early summer.

Does anyone have any advice on letting parents/students know I'll be taking 6 weeks off after the birth?

I'm open minded about this and would be happy to host sessions in my house as opposed to going out to them but any suggestions for a plan for students who need sessions before my 6 weeks is up?

I'm relatively confident that I have many families who will be supportive and happy to wait for the 6 weeks that I'll be off but conscious of disappointing newer students who are working towards exams in May-July.

Thanks in advance!

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

A few years ago, we had to go abroad for a similar period. I gave my parents fair notice, and they were fine with it, although one hinted that if I was not back when I said I would be then they would have to consider finding another tutor. One parent found another tutor for the period because she did not want her daughter to miss out, and although I came back when I said I would, she stayed with the new tutor. I had quite a small clientele at the time - I think only five students, one of whom I lost. The others came back. Those students all came through First Tutors and there was no other tutor with a similar profile to mine advertising on that website who lived remotely near them, so I was lucky not to lose more.

It then took some time to build up to the capacity I wanted, but I now get lots of recommendations by word of mouth, and am rarely short of work.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

As long as you give them plenty of notice that then leaves them with the decision as to what to do
    When you're working from home will you have someone to look after the baby while you're working?

4. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Thanks for your input :)

I'm due in February and planning to carry on for as long as I can into Jan 19' and was going to tell them around October half term- Is this sufficient? I would have someone to look after baby if students came to me. Some are a little far spread so may not go for this but can definitely suggest it!

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I think telling them at half-term sounds reasonable to me. Would tutoring on-line be possible for those who aren't able to travel to you?
    I think it's possible that you could lose a few tutees who have exams this Summer and that some may move earlier than January. If you could manage up to December/January mocks that would work out for them.
    Have you looked into whether you qualify for maternity allowance if you are a full time tutor? The rules have changed since my maternity leave, but I was able to claim for approx 4 months.

6. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I can’t speak on your predicament. However I remember when I had my first daughter there was no maternity leave for me so I took her to work, a kindergarten where I taught at the time!

I do wish you the very best with it all!