1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity sickness on a reference?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ni k, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ni k

ni k New commenter

Can anyone tell me what happens in terms of pregnancy related absence and a reference for a new job? Do employers put it in the reference if you apply for a new job?
    Thanks.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Usually I have only had to put down the number of days absent and on how many occasions. It is up to the new school to take that further if they wish to. I have never had to put down the reasons for the absence which I presume would be confidential information.

ni k likes this.
  3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Possibly.

A decent prospective employer should look beyond this though.

ni k likes this.
  4. ni k

ni k New commenter

But if they put it down surely a prospective employer would be put off? I was quite sick when pregnant.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Just a thought - if most/all of a teacher's days off due to sickness were related to her pregnancy, might it not be in her interests that this was mentioned as out as a type of absence not likely to be repeated too often? Otherwise the person reading it might assume they have medical problems, or just take days off too often?
    But, of course, the reference giver should discuss this with the teacher....

ni k likes this.
  6. ni k

ni k New commenter

Would you mention it in the interview? They probably won't explain it in the reference.

7. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

The Equality Act 2010 (which makes it unlawful for employers to discriminate against employees because of certain protected characteristics, including disability) specifically prohibits prospective employers asking potential employees about their health other than for certain prescribed reasons. The prohibition includes asking questions about health and sickness absence in reference requests.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I believe that since maternity-related sickness absence should always be recorded separately from other sickness absence, it should not be reported as sickness absence in any circumstances.

@Jamietzu you may wish to enquire about this from your HR advisor, as I may be wrong here.

Best wishes

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Thanks for the info Theo. The occasion has never arisen but I will bear it in mind for the future. :)