1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity/sickness cover, holiday entitlement....

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by linziewishart, Jun 16, 2017.

1. linziewishart

linziewishart New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm looking for some advice...
    I have a temporary contract until August 2017, unless the post holder returns to work before, in which case I will get 4 weeks notice. I have been there since the beginning of this school year.
    I have been given notice today, meaning I have to leave two days before the end of term and as far as I know right now, will not get paid over summer.

I have been paid a salary, which is obviously an annual amount, spread equally over 12 months, rather than a temporary daily rate. Therefore, I will have earned a whole school years salary as I have been there since the beginning of the school year minus the two days at the end of term.
    Please tell me I am entitled to be paid in August... Or am I clutching at straws? Thanks in advance xx

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Phone your HR dept yourself to check their interpretation of the rules. The returning teacher will be doing this so they get the summer holiday pay as they are entitled to do. You have been given the correct notice to finish. Our LA has paid summer holiday pay for the maternity teacher in this situation but it might vary.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

A standard situation, as far as I know. It seems unfair, but that is what happens. I think that you are clutching at straws, but do have a chat with your union to see if they think differently.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It sounds as if your contract was clear. Anybody taking on a maternity cover contract needs to be aware that this is the situation, and save ahead for August. Very occasionally schools have taken pity on people in this situation and paid them for the summer, but this is increasingly unlikely - there is no budget to pay two people for the same post for the summer holidays, and the teacher on maternity (or sick) leave is entitled to return.

wanet likes this.
  6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

A bit late now, but the time to deal with such issues is before accepting a contract.

7. Sundaytrekker

It probably hinges on them coming back two days before term ends. Burgundy Book conditions state that any teacher working the whole term is entitled to be paid to the standard date at the end of the holidays. That was the reason our HR dept gave for picking up the bill as part of maternity cover which we buy from them.

8. Sundaytrekker

So, yes, two teachers were getting paid for the holiday period.