1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity return

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sweetsaregood, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sweetsaregood

sweetsaregood New commenter

Please can someone help me, my union have been less help than a chocolate fireguard!

I've negotiated with my HT that I return from maternity at 0.8 rather than the full time I was doing prior.
    I have no intention on handing in my notice.
    We are having trouble understanding whether I can just go back at 0.8 or whether I have to do 13 weeks at full time in order to keep my OMP. In the letter I received about my maternity it says:
    "The 12 weeks half pay will be reclaimed if you do not return to this academy for a minimum of 13 weeks at the percentage worked prior to commencing maternity leave or equivalent".

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on the new baby!

That's nice and clear. My bold by the way.

You have to go back for at least the equivalent of 13 weeks FT, but worked at 0.8. So if you wished to leave, you would have to do more than 13 weeks, since you are working at 0.8, to make up the equivalent of 13 weeks FT.

That by my calculations is 16.25 weeks at 0.8 = 13 weeks at 1.0 (full time).

But you don't want to leave anyway, so it is totally immaterial!

No, of course you don't need to go back FT for 13 weeks! You can just start off straight away at 0.8. And as long as you stay at least 16.25 weeks, you are in the clear.

Without wishing to complicate things further, I will add for the benefit of anybody else reading this who IS thinking of handing in their notice on returning from maternity leave, you cannot just work 13 weeks (or equivalent) and then leave.

You can only leave at the official leaving dates, and have to give the official notice.

Leaving dates and resignation dates

Enjoy that new baby!

Best wishes

3. sweetsaregood

sweetsaregood New commenter

Thank you, I don't know why I bother with the union fees haha!
    As it happens I went into school and the head kindly phoned HR whilst I was there so that we were clear! Feeling very happy about returning (Except the small matter of finding someone to teach the remaining time!!).

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't you DARE stop paying those union fees!

Join a Union. Yes, now!

Best wishes for the return, and for sleep-filled nights!