1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity / return to work

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by glynm15, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hi all, Hope someone can help. I was on maternity for a whole school year. I returned in September just gone. I returned to school on a 4 days a week contract until August this year. About 2 months ago, I asked if this arrangement could continue and after a week or so my head teacher said yes. About 3 weeks ago I found out I was pregnant again. Complete shock and unplanned. After a bit of thought it was decided that we could do with the extra money, so I was asking could I go back full time. Baby due in February. I did, the head teacher said she had things to consider etc. I have been told today that I cann't return full time as the school cann't afford it. The head is planning on a higher level teaching assistant to cover my day off (she already covers all PPA). Just wondering where I stand. I could understand more if it wasn't down to a financial issue. I have (or thought i had) a good relationship with the head. Any advice welcome please.

2. Hi all, Hope someone can help. I was on maternity for a whole school year. I returned in September just gone. I returned to school on a 4 days a week contract until August this year. About 2 months ago, I asked if this arrangement could continue and after a week or so my head teacher said yes. About 3 weeks ago I found out I was pregnant again. Complete shock and unplanned. After a bit of thought it was decided that we could do with the extra money, so I was asking could I go back full time. Baby due in February. I did, the head teacher said she had things to consider etc. I have been told today that I cann't return full time as the school cann't afford it. The head is planning on a higher level teaching assistant to cover my day off (she already covers all PPA). Just wondering where I stand. I could understand more if it wasn't down to a financial issue. I have (or thought i had) a good relationship with the head. Any advice welcome please.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm not sure what advice you want - you don't have any right to return to a full-time contract, I'm afraid.
    I don't really understand what you mean here.

4. Unless I've misread the situation, seems like if the school let you go back full time until you go on maternity leave again, they would be paying you more while you're maternity leave. I can't see what's in it for them at all I'm afraid - especially with a HLTA standing in the wings who is lots cheaper.

5. Thanks.

Just wanted to know my rights really.

My change to part time last year stated that it was till August 2012. Does that not mean I can return to full time?

Just annoyed really - that it was passed off as a financial decision and also that she thinks that a HLTA is able to cover 0.3 of my class.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

So after returning you asked if you could retain your part time arrangement beyond August and permanently, and this request was granted... However, when you found out you were pregnant again you wanted to change that? - The mistake you made was to change your mind - If you had never asked and had your part time contract retained I assume that your contract would have reverted back to full time come September.... I don't think it's fair to mess the school about I'm afraid and I don't think this has any baring on your relationship with your head - They have after all granted all your previous requests.

7. Thanks for your reply.

Yes I returned to work in September on a 4 day a week contract agreed until next month. It was agreed on a one year basis. I was asked in May if I wanted this to continue. I said yes. 2 weeks later i found out i was pregnant. I asked immediately if i could return full time instead.
    I was told today No - it's a financial decision. Getting the HLTA to cover my day off is cheaper (i understand).

For my day off this year its been a mix of supply, HLTA and a teacher who returned from MAT leave in March.

Its is not my concern to worry about the budget. There should be enough money anyway to cover a full time teacher.

I would understand if there had been someone already specifically employed to cover me, but this is not the case. It is a HLTA who is already employed. No one is being employed to cover the HLTA duties whilst she is covering my class anyway. I am in no way messing the school about. Nothing was set in stone, no one had to be let down, I will be expected to prepare and then mark all the lessons from my day off, which i have done all this year.