1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity question

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Blue_y, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Blue_y

Blue_y New commenter

Hi all,

I am about 3/4 months pregnant and I have been at my current school, part of a MAT as a Full Time teacher with TLR since Sept 2017. First child so I don't know how it works/ what to expect with maternity- forgive my ignorance! I will of course consult my own school, but I want to be a bit more clued up before I do, if possible!

I am looking to go on maternity leave around Feb half term (or thereabouts). Ideally, I would like to take a full year off so return at Christmas 2019 or Feb half term '19.

IF I chose not to return to this job, what are the implications of maternity pay? Would I have to pay any back? Or, if I return, how long would I have to stay before handing my notice in without needing to pay any money back?

I'm trying to keep all options open as I live a very, very long way from school and I don't want to spend my child's first couple of years spending 4 hours in a car everyday and potentially miss out on key events in their lives.

Thank you

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

It's a MAT? Talk to HR.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You are entitled to 52 weeks leave. It’s something like (but please check): six weeks on 90% pay , another six weeks on half pay then government statutory maternity pay till nine months, then nothing in the last three months. You may return earlier if you wish. You may return on the first day of a school holiday to maximise pay. If you don’t return you need to pay back part of the maternity pay, the six to twelve week part, I think. There are statutory notice periods to give if you want to return early.

Are you planning to return full time? If you want to request part time you will need to write to request this in plenty of time for it to be properly considered. Some people return full time for a school holiday even then request part time from the beginning of term. Don’t rush to make decisions yet. You don’t know how you will feel at this stage.

A MAT still has to work within the law on this.

Flanks, forthejoyofit and agathamorse like this.