1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maternity quandary

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by geogbot, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Posted in pay and conditions also.
    Hi all,

Just a little pickle to figure out.
    I am pregnant but not yet told my employer.
    My partner and I work at the same school and the plan is that we would move away at the end of the academic year (baby due in Sept 2012).
    The problem I face is how to proceed with my Head.
    Am I entitled to take maternity pay from Sept 2012 even though it will be obvious that I will not be returning because my other half will have resigned.

any help gratefully recieved!

Thanks

2. Posted in pay and conditions also.
    Hi all,

Just a little pickle to figure out.
    I am pregnant but not yet told my employer.
    My partner and I work at the same school and the plan is that we would move away at the end of the academic year (baby due in Sept 2012).
    The problem I face is how to proceed with my Head.
    Am I entitled to take maternity pay from Sept 2012 even though it will be obvious that I will not be returning because my other half will have resigned.

any help gratefully recieved!

Thanks

3. Firstly, if you are posting under your real name be aware that even with a nickname I have been identified here by a couple of people I know around the country - just to let you know that this forum is a small world, like teaching is!
    Secondly, if you do not intend to return to your job there is part of the pay that you would have to pay back. So if you are not returning it's worth not taking that bit in the first place. I am not in this position as have been on supply when both kids due so I don't know exactly which bits you are and are not entitled to. This link may help if you are in a state school:
    http://sites.google.com/site/tesfaqs/maternity#TOC-Must-I-return-to-work-at-the-end-of

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If you don't go back you lost maternity pay (unless this has changed recently). Best to be honest as then the school can satrt looking round for another teacher, so it's best for the kids. They will prob appreciate your honesty, and you will get some pay, eg you will ge paid to attend your maternity appointments. I've laways found it strange that self employed people don't get anything like this, but hey that's how it is.