1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity quandary

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by geogbot, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Accidently post in pay and condition scotland!
    Hi all,

Just a little pickle to figure out.
    I am pregnant but not yet told my employer.
    My partner and I work at the same school and the plan is that we would move away at the end of the academic year (baby due in Sept 2012).
    The problem I face is how to proceed with my Head.
    Am I entitled to take maternity pay from Sept 2012 even though it will be obvious that I will not be returning because my other half will have resigned.

any help gratefully recieved!

Thanks

2. Accidently post in pay and condition scotland!
    Hi all,

Just a little pickle to figure out.
    I am pregnant but not yet told my employer.
    My partner and I work at the same school and the plan is that we would move away at the end of the academic year (baby due in Sept 2012).
    The problem I face is how to proceed with my Head.
    Am I entitled to take maternity pay from Sept 2012 even though it will be obvious that I will not be returning because my other half will have resigned.

any help gratefully recieved!

Thanks

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You will inform your employer of the pregnancy and that you do not intend to return after maternity leave. Maternity leave kicks in from your due date, or the date of birth if sooner - especially good for you as you will have full pay over the summer. You will then recieve 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90% and SMP thereafter. You will not be entltled to the subsequent enhanced part, for which you would need to agree to return to post for 13 weeks post leave. . I have put my maternity matters handbook on the resources section of the website that should give you more information.