1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity policy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lankylau, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Hi! I've just secured my nqt teaching job on a 1 year fixed term basis (possibility of renewal if all goes well) and I'm thrilled! The school is amazing and the staff seem lovely. The complication is however my husband and I have so many plans desperately trying to cram into the near future as we aim to move to New Zealand in a year or two and before that would love to have our first child. We both would have wanted a baby long ago but kept putting it on hold so I could finish uni and then I couldn't get a teaching job when I graduated so a year has now been wasted. Finally things are starting to fall in to place and I have agreed that providing we have our own place (currently living at the in-laws) we can try for a baby from about Xmas time so that the baby would come along after I had completed my not year. Thing is though I can't find the maternity policy in the schools network files and it wasn't detailed in my contract. Is there a way I can get hold of the policy without scaring my new employer that I'm either already preggers or planning to be (thus no chance of a contract renewal) and possible bad feeling that I'm not taking this opportunity seriously? I am so happy with starting my career but our hearts are so desperate for a child too and everythings on a bit of a time limit for us. I just need to know where I stand financially in the future so we don't make an unrealistic decision. Help!

2. If you work for a state school in a local authority then your terms and conditions (inc for maternity pay) are covered by the Burgandy Book

see here http://www.lge.gov.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=119369

Also have a look at the union websites - both the NUT and NASUWT have good info on maternity rights and benefits and have helped answer a lot of my questions during my pregnancy.

Good luck!