1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay

Discussion in 'Independent' started by jesspugh87, Jul 20, 2019.

1. jesspugh87

jesspugh87 New commenter

Hi, I wanted to find out if my school’s maternity pay is comparable to other independent schools. There does not seem to be any information available on averages across the independent sector. At my school we receive SMP which is 6 weeks at 90% and then the remaining 33 weeks at the current SMP rate which is £148.68 per week. Is this common at other independent school? Thanks

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

That means they are offering only statutory maternity pay (and they can reclaim most of that from the government).

Some independents match the usual teachers' occupational maternity pay, some just SMP. There's no reason why they couldn't offer something inbetween, but I suspect few do - either they are anxious to have pay and conditions at least comparable with the state sector, or they have precarious finances and rely on being a gentler place to work to attract staff.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have absolutely no idea in the sense it isn't something I've needed.
    This would be the likely answer for my school/group of schools, as that's what our sick pay is.

4. geographyrox

geographyrox New commenter

My last school was statutory only, but my current school has a very generous policy. I can’t remember the exact details, but one aspect that struck me is it involves going back to 100% pay during all school holidays in the year of leave.

5. jesspugh87

jesspugh87 New commenter

Thank you, that is interesting that they can claim it all pretty much back, I hadn’t realised that!