1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by anon8315, Nov 3, 2015.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Really sorry, everyone, I know it's been done a thousand times before!

Everything I have read points towards working somewhere for one year for 11 weeks before your estimated date of childbirth so (hypothetically) would this mean you would have to work somewhere for one year and nearly three months?

I'm very confused by it!

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

3. anon8315

Many thanks GL, although I'm hoping congratulations will be in order in the near future rather than now (sadly!)

Hypothetically then, given I have been employed from September 1 2015, if I was due a baby in October / November 2016, I should be entitled to full enhanced maternity pay - have I understood that correctly?

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I've been reading up about this recently, @badger_girl ! I am similarly still a bit confused, it has to be said. However, my understanding was the same as your OP - that the due date is 15 months-ish after you start at that school to receive enhanced maternity. Anything before that (and after you've been there 26 weeks) would be normal maternity pay.

Corrections if I'm wrong are welcome, but that's what I think.

5. anon8315

Sillow, I read up on this and yes, it's one year plus 11 weeks, so this would mean a teacher who began a post on September 1 of one year would need to be due to give birth on or after the last week of November to qualify for the enhanced package.

I don't know what would happen in the case of an early arrival, though - can anyone enlighten??

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have been waiting for daisy to arrive here - best give her a call! Hope she hears this and comes.

Best wishes

7. anon8315

ATL was the most informative website I found - here is the link:

https://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/parental-leave/maternity.asp

I presume this means if you were employed as a teacher for a year and 3 months before giving birth you're fine, however I'm not sure about what would happen if (say) there was a break in service, e.g. supply teaching or going abroad, but you'd taught in LA schools prior to that.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There are two relevant dates.
    The 1 year + 11 weeks is continuous service as a teacher in any school, and is what gets you the burgundy book pay.
    The 26+15 weeks is how long you need to have been with that employer to get the SMP bits.

Early arrival shouldn't affect entitlement, as your due date does not change. It does affect when your maternity leave begins, though, as it must begin when the baby arrives if it hasn't already.

9. anon8315

Would that include long term supply teachers, frustum?

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Hello all - My ears twitched :p

In order to be eligible for FULL maternity benefits inclusive of enhanced maternity package you need to have been in post for 1 year at least 11 weeks before your expected due date, or week 29 of pregnancy.
    Your expected due date (EDD) does not change, regardless of early or late delivery, and is the date that is used on your MATB1 form.

You are entitled to SMP if you have been employed by at least 26 weeks by the time you reach the 15th week before your EDD, or week 25 of pregnancy. This does effectively mean you cannot claim SMP if you started a job pregnant.

If you are not eligible for either of these, but have undertaken employment with multiple employers - at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks prior to EDD - You can claim Maternity Allowance (MA) which is paid at the same rate as SMP for 39 weeks.

midnight_angel likes this.
  11. DaisysLot

The ATL information is inaccurate - I have emailed them. They seem to have got confused by the 11th week before expected due date bit…

If you break service or move school sectors e.g From LEA to Academy chain or independent school, your continuous service is broken and affects eligibility dates.

12. anon8315

Thank youDaisy - so since I commenced this post on September 1, the earliest we could try for badger cub would be March?

13. anon8315

In order to qualify for enchanted maternity pay, that is!

14. DaisysLot

This site is useful for working out the specific dates to play… http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html
    I'm not sure what you are calculating there…

Your point of one years service would be 1st September 2016….

15. anon8315

Yes, so if I need one years service plus 11 weeks that would mean a baby due no earlier than the last week of November 2016?

16. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Also I'm guessing enhanced maternity from continuous employment is gained through employment with the SAME LA? I've been with my current LA for many years but am thinking of moving elsewhere in the country for next September. Therefore I believe I would be breaking my continuous employment by changing LAs.

17. DaisysLot

WIth the many changes in school status and form it is very much worth checking. Time was that a move between LEAs counted as continuous service.

18. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Thanks, @DaisysLot - with whom do I check? I'm new to all this maternity stuff :)

19. DaisysLot

With your new school I would say… Whoever deals with personnel.

20. anon8315

To summarise then, teachers who have worked within an LEA should be eligible for full enchanted maternity pay provided they have worked for longer than fifteen months.

Teachers who have taken a break in service may need to work for fifteen months before their expected week of childbirth to qualify.

Teachers in academies - no one seems sure so ask first (which in theory is great advice; in practice I would find it too utterly mortifying!)

I do work in an academy but am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, Ts & Cs are the same as everything goes through the local authority anyway!

I'm also on the leadership scale - not sure if that makes a difference (guessing it probably doesn't.)