1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Rachel Churchard, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Rachel Churchard

Rachel Churchard New commenter

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone can help. I'm due to start my maternity leave early August and I'm currently on UPS3. I'm starting to panic that I've not worked out what I will receive after tax/NI/ pension correctly.

Can anyone please give me a rough idea of take home pay after the above please? I know I'm entitled to 4 wks full pay, 2 wks at 90%, 12 wks at half pay plus SMP and 21 wks SMP only.

Thank you

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Your school should provide you with a complete breakdown of what your maternity pay would be for the full 12 month period you could take, regardless of whether you take the full 12 months. It would be impossible for someone to calculate this for you without your personal tax code, pension, student loan repayments etc. It is worked out in 'weeks' rather than calendar months, which invariably means if you start maternity leave part way through a month the amount received would also include 'some' usual pay. You could make use of the pay calculator - www.tesfaq.co.uk and fiddle with the fractional contract info to work out 50% pay etc.

3. Rachel Churchard

Rachel Churchard New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I've phoned HR this morning but they were unable to give me a breakdown. They did answer some questions though which will help me work it out a bit better.

I forgot to ask though if when on half pay i will be taxed at 20% instead of 40%. I would really appreciate it if anyone knew the answer to this?

Many thanks

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Your rate of tax will depend upon ypur yearly earnings. You should be able to work this out!

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Indeed your tax code won't change. Any surplus tax you may have paid in the 2015-16 tax year will come back to you in April.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Actually the tax code could change, if you tell HMRC! You can just telephone HMRC and notify them that you will be in receipt of Maternity Pay (and therefore no longer a higher rate tax payer). The tax code is only HMRC's best guess at what your liability is likely to be this year and they can change it on the basis of what you tell them. At the end of this tax year they will get you to do a tax return so that they and you can then make any other adjustments that need to be made.