1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ilando, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hello,

I'm after some advise regarding maternity pay etc and figured you were the ladies to ask.

I'm planning to start trying for a baby in the next couple of years. If I moved local authority in that time, would I lose the rights that I currently have (4 years at current school).

I seem to remember that you need to have worked at for a LEA for 12 months but I could be mistaken.

2. Hello,

I'm after some advise regarding maternity pay etc and figured you were the ladies to ask.

I'm planning to start trying for a baby in the next couple of years. If I moved local authority in that time, would I lose the rights that I currently have (4 years at current school).

I seem to remember that you need to have worked at for a LEA for 12 months but I could be mistaken.

3. You should be able to get hold of a policy by emailing lea. You have to be with an emoter so many weeks before due date to get the statutory allowance which is usually around 6 weeks at 90% pay then up to 39 weeks at statutory pay. If you are already with employer before you get of then it should be fine. There is often an amount of time to be with them to qualify for additional benefits (weeks 7-18 at half pay possibly) then the rest at ssmp. It's the amount of time you have been employed before your due date though and now when you get pg. Basically if you are planning to move LEA wait a term before trying for baby then you will have been there over a year by the time you are due! You also have to be planning to return to get your benefits for a certain length of time or you get the basic and have to repay, eg if you choose to leave once baby is born or contract ends when you go on may leave.

4. Im so glad someone else asked this. Im about to start working in a school on a temporary 1 year contract in the first instance but have been assured that it will become permanent, so wondered where i stood on trying for a baby in early 2014.