1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by mebagpuss, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Could someone please tell me what I am entitled to? I am going off on mat leave in July. How many weeks full pay will I get? When the pay goes down to a % will I get any extras from anywhere??????

2. Could someone please tell me what I am entitled to? I am going off on mat leave in July. How many weeks full pay will I get? When the pay goes down to a % will I get any extras from anywhere??????

3. sabby81

sabby81 New commenter

When is your baby due? Could you start your maternity leave in Sept to maximise pay???

2 weeks @ 100%
    4 weeks @ 90%
    12 weeks @ 50% (you have to pay this bit back if you do not return to work for 13 weeks when your leave is up)
    21 weeks @ £128ish per week
    13 weeks unpaid

4. Despite many hours (or what felt like it!) of trying/research we're not entitled to anything extra (my husband works in IT and earns similar to me on MPS). Everyone (at the mo at least) gets child benefit which used to be called family allowance, which is around £20 a week for first child.
    Direct gov website has calculators etc to help with tax credits etc.
    Ditto with what above poster said re when to start your mat leave, Im due 30 May, working until 11th. Thanks to the Queens jubilee moving half term Im losing my holiday pay and will be on half pay when my colleagues are on full pay in the summer!
    Tx

5. Hi all,

Seeing the pay laid out I wondered if the 12 week pay is without deductions...meaning tax?

This is from the burgundy book
    d) For the next 12 weeks of paid absence, half pay without deductions except by the extent to which the combined pay and SMP (or, if not eligible for SMP, maternity allowance and any dependants’ allowances) exceeds full pay.

and this is from the Lancs County Council info

(a) For the next 12 weeks of paid absence, you will receive under OMP, half of your basic salary at the lower rate or MA actually received BUT whatever the total of these two amounts, you cannot receive more than the equivalent of your normal basic pay per week.

I've emailed the finance team at school to find out if they arre the same thing? I will get 12 weeks at half pay with no tax deductions plus SMP up to the value of my full salary?

Any ideas?

6. For the 12 weeks you should get 1/2 pay + smp no tax up to amount of full salary. It looks like they do mean the same thing, if not the burgundy book is minimum of your entitlement so make sure the council don't rip you off (some do!)

I've asked for a forecast of payments I'm due while on maternity but still waiting a month later. It's useful to get a forecast to double check you are getting what you're entitled to so you can rectify it beforehand.

7. i was given 50% for the 12 weeks plus £124.88 a week statutory maternity pay and then i was taxed as normal on it according to my tax code. all maternity pay is taxable.

8. I think I'll definitely do that and see what they come up with....not going on maternity until May half term so plenty of time for them to put me off! lol