1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by cheekychalky, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I am just trying to do some sums in preparation of my maternity leave and would appreciate some clairyt on things. Does anyone know, what weeks of pregnancy you MP is based on? I am currently claiming child car vouchers, and I'm not sure if or how this might affect my MP... much appreciated any help/advice etc

2. Hi All,

I am just trying to do some sums in preparation of my maternity leave and would appreciate some clairyt on things. Does anyone know, what weeks of pregnancy you MP is based on? I am currently claiming child car vouchers, and I'm not sure if or how this might affect my MP... much appreciated any help/advice etc

3. I cant remember when the qualifying period is but it will say in direct gov website its something like the 4 weeks from 15 weeks before due date (ie when you have to tell them). In terms of childcare vouchers, yes they will reduce your OMP and SMP for the 6 weeks but they cannot be deducted from SMP. Therefore your employer has to continue to provide them. This includes the time when you are not being paid at all. Therefore if you are thinking of stopping claiming nursery vouchers to safeguard max maternity pay then dont unless you are intending to return very quickly!!!

4. Thanks Brettgirl, I had read on here a while ago about the situation with child care vouchers still being paid to you when you're off.... but has anyone actually experienced this? Surely its too good to be true??!!! And no thankfully I dont intend to return that quickly so will be on SMP/nowt by the time I go back.... Also does it matter that my school is now an academy? Thanks again x

5. It is definitely right and what type of employer you have is irrelevant. I work in the private sector for an employer that provides the legal minimum. My employer has only agreed to continue to provide them as they would be breaking the law if they did otherwise. If you have a look on the HMRC website there is a document about salary sacrifice schemes and maternity leave.

6. Sorry to be pain, I have looked on the directgov and hmrc website but struggling to get a definitive answer... surely if its a salary sacrifice scheme, but your on ML so not really earning a salary (well past the initial 18 weeks) why would we still be paid them? I just need to know so that I have the necessary ammunition - if I need it! our business manager is useless to say the least so will undoubtedly be clueless on this matter. Thanks again though x

7. So far I can confirm that you do still get them and the money is deducted from your omp. I was told BH someone who had no idea at the lea, that you got them in addition to smp and omp but that's not the case, however it is true what brettgirl says that they cannot deduct from smp so on the smp only months you'd still get your smp with the childcare voucher too. Dont have direct experience of that yet as still on 50% pay.

8. That's correct - the point is if you have no salary then they cannot be deducted from salary and they have to be provided on top. While on maternity leave you are entitled to all the same benefits as usual apart from salary. Childcare vouchers as they cannot be transferred are classed as non-monetary and therefore not part of salary. As Clematis says while you have OMP they can be deducted as you do have salary to sacrifice. I am happy to email you the docs I have if you PM me your email address. My employer checked it out with the lawyers frim the HR advice service they use and decided we were correct. I think for you the most sensible first step is to discuss it with your employer who will probably be well aware of this. You are probably anticipating a fight you wont need have.

9. I'm terrible at Maths and am trying to figure mine out. Much help would be greatly appreciated. This is what I am entitled to under our enhanced scheme as I've been in the school over a year:
    • First 6 weeks at 90% of a normal weeks pay offset against SMP
    • Following 10 weeks at full pay offset against SMP
    • Following 10 weeks at half pay plus SMP
    • Final 14 weeks at half pay offset against the remainder of SMP.
    Optional extra 12 weeks unpaid.
    My questions are:
    1. How do I calculate a weeks pay? My overall gross divided by 52?
    2. What does 'offset against the remainder of SMP' mean?
    I looked on the direct.gov website and it appears SMP is £128.73 at present (I think: not very clear) but doesn't say anything about a total amount you are entitled to to help me figure out what the 'remainder' is.