1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Penguin1212, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hello
    Thought this might be the right place to ask this! My hubby and I are looking to TTC from January/February next year! (YAY)
    But we are wondering what are the Maternity Rates of pay? How long does it last? Ive heard various things about time scales etc. Could any of you advise? Thanks!

Hopefully Future Mummy 2012

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

This might help:
    http://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/parental-leave/maternity.asp

3. You should also google nut maternity matters as lots of info on there x

4. Thanks guys!

5. Hi!
    Money-wise try this calculator: http://www.direct.gov.uk/dscript

I got all other info from direct.gov.uk:
    Who can get statutory maternity payment? 2 rules: continuous employment rule' + 'earnings rule'

Continuous employment rule you must:
    have been employed by your employer for a continuous period of at least 26 weeks into the qualifying week >>>> has to be employed min. 42 weeks (10,5 months) before the baby is due and must work at least one day's employment in the qualifying week

The qualifying week is:the 15th week before the week in which the baby is due

Employed by an agency:
    If you are employed by an agency, in each of the 26 weeks into the qualifying week, you will satisfy the continuous employment rule. If you did some work during any week it counts as a full week. There may be some weeks when you did no work for the agency. This does not mean that you may not satisfy the employment rule.

The earnings rule
    you must have been earning on average: an amount which at least equals the lower earnings limit which applies on the Saturday at the end of your qualifying week

The lower earnings limit (LEL) is the amount you have to earn before you are treated as paying National Insurance contributions. This is £102 a week if the end of your qualifying week is in the 2011-12 tax year.

If you satisfy both the continuous employment rule and the earnings rule, your employer must pay you SMP (Statutory Maternity Pay). They must pay even if your contract ends at any time after the start of the 15th week before the week your baby is due.

There are no age limits to qualify for SMP. For example, if you are under 16 and satisfy the rules you can qualify for SMP from your employer.

If your employer can't pay you SMP
    they must:
    *give you form SMP1 that explains why
    *give you back your copy of the maternity certificate (MAT B1) that you will have given them
    You may be able to claim Maternity Allowance (MA) instead. If you want to claim MA you'll need to send the form SMP1 to Jobcentre Plus along with your MA claim form.

I also found a pdf doc at NASUWT on maternity issues. I can email it to you if you post your email here.

All the best!