1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maternity pay

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by becky70, May 27, 2011.

1. Try this for info:
    http://sites.google.com/site/tesfaqs/maternity
    Think you should get something although it would depend on when you conceived.
    I am in a similar position - it's quite stressful - although I have been trying for a baby for years. You'll always get a better deal with a permanent contract but I know they can be hard to come by.

2. OK. It depends basically on when you conceive and how long you have been teaching.

Senario 1: You have been working for one or more LEAs for over a year as a teacher AND have worked for your current LEA for at least 26 weeks in the 15th week before your baby is due: You get part of your teachers maternity pay and then SMP: 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90% pay then 33 weeks SMP (£128.73/wk)

Senario 2: You have been working for less than a year but have completed 26 weeks with current LEA: entitled to SMP only: 6 weeks at 90% then 33 weeks SMP.

Senario 3: You have completed over a year with one or more LEAS but have NOT been with your current LEA for more than 26 weeks in the 15th week before your baby is due. You get part of teachers maternity pay and then maternity allowance, which is paid at the same rate as SMP, just you apply for it through the jobcentre. 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90% pay then 33 weeks MA (£128.73/wk)

Senario 4: If you are in a permanent job and can return to work for 13 weeks, which can include holidays, AND have worked for one or more LEAs for a year then you can get the full teaching maternity leave: 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90% pay, 12 weeks half pay plus SMP or MA then 21 weeks SMP or MA and then 13 weeks unpaid.

Got it? It took me so long to get this straight in my head!

3. Sorry, I don't know how to put in paragraphs on my Mac! Hope you can read it anyway!

4. Just wanted to add that they count your dates from about the time of your last period and not the date you conceived, so be careful on that front! Embarrassingly, my partner doesn't qualify for paternity leave (out by a few days :() because we thought we'd be ok to go ahead and have a baby once he had a job, but were caught out by dates counting from last period...