1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cococherry, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am due to give birth at the end of September. I have put the first day of the new term (5th sept) down as my maternity start date.
    I am currently on M4 due to go up to M5 in September. Will I still go up the scale?
    I have heard that pay is based on the 15th week before the baby is due. Seems very unfair if this is the case but just wanted to clear it up now.
    Thanks.

2. Hi,
    I am due to give birth at the end of September. I have put the first day of the new term (5th sept) down as my maternity start date.
    I am currently on M4 due to go up to M5 in September. Will I still go up the scale?
    I have heard that pay is based on the 15th week before the baby is due. Seems very unfair if this is the case but just wanted to clear it up now.
    Thanks.

3. Yes you will, your scale should increase on 1 Sept 2011 which you will have qualified for by working 2010-2011. I am pretty sure that whist on maternity leave all times and qualifying periods etc. continue as if you were working normally, therefore, if you took a year's maternity leave and returned 5th Sept 2012 you would be M6.

4. Thank you for your speedy response, exactly as I thought. Thanks again.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

But your maternity pay is indeed calculated based on the 15th week.....

6. DaisysLot, Don't mean to sound dumb but does that mean that my maternity pay will be paid at M4 rather than M5?
    thanks

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The paid part will..... but as the pervious poster said you will move up scale upon your return to work... and you should progress to M6 the following September.

www.tesfaq.co.uk