1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay - transferring between academies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lucyjducker, Aug 17, 2017.

1. lucyjducker

lucyjducker New commenter

Hi all

I have just learned that I have fallen pregnant during the holidays. This is amazing news, as we were just about to seek out private fertility treatment.

I have been working at the same academy for three years. I am about to start a job at a different academy in September.

Does anyone know which category I will fall into re maternity pay? I fear I may already know the answer, but it's not very clear!

Thanks in advance.

2. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

I have no idea sorry I just wanted to say a massive congratulations! Lovely news xx

3. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

Congratulations.we are waiting for a referral to an infertility clinic.

4. lucyjducker

Thank you!

5. lucyjducker

Good luck!

6. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

Good luck, sending lots of good vibes your way xx

7. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Are the two schools part of the same MAT? Congrats!

I'm waiting for results and second appointment after the first fertility apt at the clinic (2 months ago). Gosh it moves slowlyyyyyy!!!

8. lucyjducker

Good luck! Crossing my fingers for you!

The schools are in different MATs.

9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

School 1 won't care less (you haven't told them and any absence due to the future bundle of joy is not going to affect them).

So it's all down to the Sickness and absence policy at New School which will be a policy you probably didn't bother asking for or reading.

Do you already have access to the school intranet? It should be on there. Or you could write to the HR person and ask for that policy (and others if you want to bore yourself over a half-day).

You might be advised to speak to your line manager first thing in September and, at least in theory, plot the best course for you and your kids. I appreciate that Sept 4th may be a bit too early but the training day is probably going to be the only time to draw breath until Xmas.
    Congratulations

10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If you want a confidential chat about the options then your union rep will know what's what (assuming there's one on site)

11. lucyjducker

Thank you. Sorry for the late response - I am on holiday and have been trying to avoid the internet!

I think I should be able to access the intranet, so I will try and look at the policy. I know that, as part of their policy, I am "on probation" for the first six months and sickness absence could count against me (I know as I queried it as I signed the contract). I think I will try and talk to a union rep as soon as I start - there are a few schools in the MAT in the local area so they must have someone.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I believe maternity-related sickness is not included in sickness absence.

You won't qualify for SMP, as you won't have been at the school long enough, but you will qualify for MA, which is paid at the same flat rate (but not the higher rate for the first six weeks).
    Anything else depends on the academy's policy, but is unlikely, I'm afraid.

However annoying the financial side is, the key thing is that your baby is on the way, and that's far more important.

You don't have to tell the school straight away - many people choose to wait until the end of the first trimester, when things are more certain, at least if they're not being affected by morning sickness at school. Once you do tell them, they have to carry out a risk assessment.

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

@frustrum is correct: you cannot be treated unfavourably because of pregnancy-related sickness absence, so the sickness absence policy cannot be applied to you for any pregnancy-related sickness absence. Protection from discrimination on ground of pregnancy / maternity kicks in from day one.

Ensure they carry out and regularly review risk assessments for you. There is a statutory duty for them to do this. You are also entitled to paid time off to attend ante-natal appointments of whatever kind your medical team think you need.

Maternity pay will depend on whether the new academy is the same employer as the last one (for continuity of service). If not, at the very least, you would be entitled to Maternity Allowance.

Many congratulations! :D

14. lucyjducker

Thank you @frustum and @GLsghost.

So, I read it that you see me as being in Category 4 in the Burgundy Book rather than Category 2. The time I will have spent in my previous school (part of a different academy chain) will not count (i.e. is not deemed to be part of a local authority).

I think my brain is muddled with how to interpret the Burgundy Book with academies. Maybe this is why the government is so keen for everyone to convert! :-D

15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

STPCD and Burgundy book may or may not be relevant to employment in an academy. Some will reference them in their terms and conditions to a greater or lesser extent; some will have terms and conditions that operate with no reference to them. You will need to check the precise wording of your contract to see what your academy's terms and conditions provides.

@Rott Weiler reminded me recently that STPCD only has statutory effect on local authority schools. Academies can cherry-pick which aspects of STPCD / Burgundy Book, if any, they recognise. If an academy states it recognises STPCD ( with or without caveats / exemptions) then that statement is incorporated into the contract of employment as a binding condition.

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In contrast the Burgundy Book (officially "Conditions of Service for School Teachers in England and Wales") - which is where maternity pay is dealt with - has no statutory status at all. It has never been more than a model set of terms drawn up by employers (in the days when all teachers were employed in LA schools) which could be incorporated into teachers' contracts of employment. They didn't have to be incorporated, although in practice pretty much every LA in the country did incorporate them.

Nowadays any academy can adopt Burgundy Book if it wants to. Or not. It can instead write its own sick pay and maternity pay rules. It can offer no more than statutory minimum if it chooses (subject to any TUPE obligations) as long as it complies with the various anti-discrimination rules referred to earlier.

GLsghost likes this.