1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay - still confused

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ashtonoaj, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Hi!

I started work on 1st September 2014, on a temporary contract. I had my contract extended until 31st December 2015. I've been paid over summer, so it's one contract in one school, local authority.

My due date is 16th January 2016. I've been told I can apply for a permanent position at school in September. However, this is obviously not a given.

Can anyone help me? I know that I am entitled to the full burgundy book maternity pay. However, what if my contract does end on 31st December. What would I actually get? Would it just be SMP/MA?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You'd be best to ask your school directly?.

You are entitled to full burgundy book entitlements IF you have worked at your school for a full year BEFORE you reach the 11th week before your expected due date and are on a permanent contract. A change in contract from temporary to permanent lends to a change in employment benefits and entitlement.

You are entitled to SMP if you have worked for your employer continuously for 26 weeks in the 52 prior to and leading up to birth.

You are similarly entitled to MA (same rate) if you have worked for one or more employers for at least 26weeks in the last 52 prior to birth, but you need to apply for it yourself.