1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay query

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Rory, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. Rory

    Rory New commenter

    I have a few questions relating to my maternity leave which is due to start on June 25th.

    My usual gross pay (36756) is worked out as annual salary / 12.
    The first 4 weeks leave (annual salary / 365 x 7) less deductions will leave me with a net shortfall of around £170. Is this correct?

    In the first six weeks , does 'less any adjustment in respect of SMP' simply mean I just get the adjusted salary payments and no SMP?

    Throughout the period of my maternity leave, will I always lose deductions at the same rate? So for example, when I am down to just SMP - will I pay tax, NI and pension contributions at the same rate as now?

    Be so grateful if someone could shed any light... working out my budget and worrying that I'm going to be sooo worse off xx
  2. DaisysLot

    DaisysLot Senior commenter

    Your school should provide you with a breakdown of how your maternity pay will be paid - though you may have to ask. Download the Maternity Matters handbook from the resource section of this website - under my user name which may help.
  3. Rory

    Rory New commenter

    Thanks for the reply;
    I already have the school's and HR's breakdown - I'm more unsure about deductions during my leave though and this isn't explained in the break down...
  4. tafkam

    tafkam Occasional commenter

    Are you comparing like with like? Four weeks' pay would be less than a calendar month's pay... Because four weeks is less than a month.
  5. coppull

    coppull New commenter

    If you are in a Union they should be able to help with these questions. Please ring the Regional Office not your school rep. Literature may be also found on the main union web sites or ask your Union to send you the booklet.

Share This Page