1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay over Summer holidays

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by melthammum, Sep 24, 2017.

1. melthammum

melthammum New commenter

I can't seem to get my head around this so please help me understand. Part of our pay is withheld during the year to then pay us evenly, and over the summer break. Now if you are on maternity leave you could be paid less over the summer than a colleague, when you have both worked the same to that point. Likewise if you give birth in July you are paid less for the same amount of maternity leave than a colleague who gives birth in September.
    Being due at the start of the May half term would mean that you don't get paid for that holiday and that you are on SMP by the end of the Summer holiday?

install likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

You get so many months Maternity Pay at a certain rate regardless of whether it hits a holiday or not - which then reduces if you want to extend your Maternity Leave. Interestingly, Paternity Pay isn't still quite as good as it could be.

Your Union can advise you further with regards to your specific case and entitlements. :cool:

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't think there is any way they could make it completely fair, given the six week summer holiday. Those with September births do end up doing best, as they can take the whole school year and get 58 weeks off for only 46 weeks on maternity. I think you have to see that as them being lucky, rather than others being treated unfairly.

I haven't got my head around shared parental leave, but I think if you switch to that, you can take up to three separate blocks of leave. I don't know if that means you can return during the summer when the higher rate of pay runs out, then go on leave again when term starts?

4. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

This is why i deliberately (and was very lucky to be able to) time my pregnancies so that I knew I would have the most amount of paid maternity leave possible, whilst also using holidays at either end to add to the leave but without losing pay. So with both pregnancies I was able to take the Easter hols as 2 weeks normal pay. Then officially go on maternity leave on the first day of the summer term and then return on the first day of the summer holidays meaning I got paid full pay for Easter and Summer and only on maternity pay for Summer term. This way I was able to get 5 months maternity leave for the price of about 3 months. Couldn't have financially managed otherwise.

But yes I think Frustum is right in that technically with shared parental leave I COULD have taken my leave in 3 blocks, returning for just the Summer hols to be paid full time for that 6 weeks, and then going on leave again on the first day of the Autumn term IF I'd have not minded having more time off in the long run. But I didn't want to come back mid year as I'm a HOD.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You're not going to get the pick of the supply teachers with a termtime-only maternity cover contract, of course.

TessDurbeyfield likes this.