1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay Help

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by garrityellen, Apr 23, 2016.

1. garrityellen

garrityellen New commenter

Hello,
    I'm currently on maternity leave, not due to return until December but yesterday my dream job was posted and I would really like to apply. If I am fortunate enough to get this job in order to start September I would need to hand notice in by 31st May. I know I have to work for 13 weeks in order to retain OMP but seeing as this period can include holidays I was wondering if I can do the following:
    In my resignation letter state I would like to return to work full time 2 weeks before the 6 weeks (therefore 8 weeks / 13 weeks required) then offer to pay back the 5 weeks equivalent. I have no issue doing this but I don't think I'll be able to afford the full amount. Do they average out your OMP over 13 weeks? Or is it pay back all or nothing? I don't want to be difficult for anyone as my current school are very fair but this is an opportunity I cannot pass by.
    Thank you

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Usually it's all-or-nothing - if you haven't got the 13 weeks in, you don't get to keep any of the OMP. Employers are allowed to pro rata it, but it's unlikely in schools.
    You can get the 13 weeks in by returning at the start of the half-term break - but obviously that's much earlier than you planned to return. You could also consider the possibility of your husband taking some shared parental leave at that point - so then you wouldn't be putting your child into childcare so early.
    Or you just return at the start of the summer holiday, having resigned w.e.f. 31st August. The six weeks of full pay will help offset the OMP you have to pay back.
    (If the dream job is with the same employer, you may be able to count the work there to your 13 weeks, but that's unusual now we have so many academies.)