1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay confusion...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by primaryteacher23, Jul 5, 2019.

1. primaryteacher23

primaryteacher23 New commenter

Hello,
    I was wondering if somebody could advise please?
    I'm currently in UPS1 and started my maternity leave started on 8th May 2019.
    I'm entitled to the following:

- 2 weeks @ 100%
    - 4 weeks @ 90%
    - 12 weeks @ 50%pay & SMP
    - 21 weeks @ SMP
    - 12 weeks @ unpaid

I'm hoping to return next year - February time but having spoken to a primary teacher at my baby massage group, she asked me if i would be returnibgbfir one or two days before the Summer holidays begin (I.e. within the next two weeks)

I asked her the benefits of doing this and she replied she would be paid for the whole of the 6 weeks School holidays.

How is this possible when she has no intention of returning to work until next February?
    I would appreciate any form of clarity as I don't want to miss out but surely it's not possible!
    Thank you,
    Primary Teacher xx

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I don't think it is. Having a return date just before or on the first day of the holidays does mean you get paid for the holidays, but does mean you need to be back after the holiday. Unless anyone else knows more than me, I think this must be a case of crossed wires.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've replied elsewhere, but under the shared parental leave rules, it is possible for either parent to take up to three separate blocks of maternity leave, BUT only if the employer agrees to this. Whilst a company might be happy with this idea, particularly if the blocks back at work are their peak workload times, I can't see schools doing so (or everyone would do it). So it's possible, but highly unlikely. I do hope this person hasn't got the wrong end of the stick and isn't about to get a nasty shock.