1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay confusion

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by misserbert, May 21, 2011.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Hello all!
    I am pregnant with our first baby (baby is due in October) and I have been doing full time maternity cover at my school since January. Before then I worked full time at a different school for 2 and a half years (same LA). My contract runs out in July as it is maternity cover and I won't be going back to work come September as the baby is coming in October.

So............what do I do about maternity money? Am I entitled to anything at all?

Thanks!
    </td></tr></table>

2. frustum

frustum Established commenter

First question: did your maternity cover start immediately your previous post ended? That affects your continuous service.
    Secondly: are you able to begin your maternity leave before your contract ends? (You can begin it up to 11 weeks before your due date.) If you can, then that may affect things. If you can't, I think you only qualify for Maternity Allowance (see below).

I'm afraid I can't remember the ins and outs of the Burgundy book scheme if your contract ends, and it may depend on the above issues. Somebody else will probably know.
    But whatever happens, if you don't qualify for SMP through your employer, you will qualify for Maternity Allowance, which is the same flat rate as SMP, so don't panic that you'll get nothing.