1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay and strike

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by JodiP, Mar 27, 2012.

1. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

My maternity pay is based on my last 6 months' wages. If I go on strike tomorrow I will lose a day's pay therefore one of the months will be lower than normal. Will this be taken into account when they calculate my maternity pay? I am worried that I am going to lose more than a day's pay for going on strike tomorrow.

2. This link might give you some guidance http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/13356 but I think the basic advice is that if you are within 12 weeks of going on maternity leave, it is better for you not to strike.

3. trish82

trish82 New commenter

I live in Scotland and we had a strike day in November - I'm due to go off on mat leave in 4 weeks I was advised by my union that I would lose over £200 from my maternity pay, in addition to the loss of 1 days wage. My union advised me that due to this, I was exempt from the strike. Best to check. Good luck

4. I'm in Scotland too and was advised by my union in november not to strike as it would effect my mat pay. I was exempt from strike action and went to school as normal. Wasn't too happy about not striking but I would have lost a lot more than a days wage. Contact your union rep and they should be able to email u an exemption certificate that you show if there is a picket line. X

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter