1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity pay and strike tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by JodiP, Mar 27, 2012.

1. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

If I go on strike tomorrow will the day's pay that I lose affect how much maternity pay I receive? I am worried that one day striking will actually end up costing me a few day's salary as the maternity pay is based on an average of the last 6 months wages.

2. What strike is that?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Good question. I thought the NUT had called off its proposed strike for tomorrow.

4. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

The London strike - as far as I was aware it was still on?

5. chriszwinter1

Of course, you're right. I apologise.

6. chriszwinter1

The NUT says this on page 8 of http://www.nut.org.uk/files/nut-pensions-key-facts-faq-reps-london-v2.pdf
    I am pregnant. If I go on strike, will there be any impact on my entitlement to maternity leave and pay?
    <font size="3" face="Arial,Arial"></font>
    <font size="3" face="Arial,Arial">Most pregnant teachers will be able to join the strike with no impact on their maternity entitlements. Your continuity of employment isn&rsquo;t broken by taking strike action. The week of the action will not be included in your total length of service for the purpose of the qualifying period but this will not affect the vast majority of pregnant teachers. More detailed information on Statutory and Occupational Maternity Leave and Pay and Maternity Allowance is available on the NUT website in the school teachers&rsquo; conditions section.
    </font>
    I am pregnant. If I go on strike, will there be any impact on my entitlement to maternity leave and pay?

<font size="3" face="Arial,Arial"></font>