1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay and one year contracts

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Bobian, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Wasn't sure where to post this but hoping someone could help....

I'm currently training for Primary and have heard that several schools in my area offer just one year contracts for NQTs. If (and it's a big if) i fell pregnant towards the end of my NQT year, would I still qualify for maternity pay? When do contracts typically get renewed? My union sent me a document to wade through but i can't find the right answer. I just want to make sure I know all the facts!

If anyone is able to help, that would be great.

Thanks x

2. You have to be employed in the 15th week before the baby is due to be entitled to SMP. This means that if your contract wasnt renewed, your baby would need to be due in early december at the latest to get SMP (so would need to fall pregnant by early march). This happened to me last year, and I missed out on SMP by one week! At the school I was at, contracts weren't renewed until May/June time.