1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Pay - am I being cheated?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sdm79, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sdm79

sdm79 New commenter

Hi
    Just to clarify that maternity pay is generally as follows (state secondary):
    4 weeks full pay (OCP minus any SMP to give 100% total)
    2 weeks 90% pay (OCP minus any SMP to give 90% total)
    12 weeks 50% pay OCP <u>PLUS</u> SMP (&pound;128 pw)*****
    21 weeks SMP only
    ***** The query is the 12 weeks because my wife's employer is giving OCP minus SMP to make 50% total (similar to weeks 1-6) which seems incorrect from everything I have checked? Effectively she is losing &pound;128 per week due to this?
    Can anyone clarify if I am correct or am I misinterpreting it and being very hopeful?

Thanks

2. sdm79

sdm79 New commenter

Hi
    Just to clarify that maternity pay is generally as follows (state secondary):
    4 weeks full pay (OCP minus any SMP to give 100% total)
    2 weeks 90% pay (OCP minus any SMP to give 90% total)
    12 weeks 50% pay OCP <u>PLUS</u> SMP (&pound;128 pw)*****
    21 weeks SMP only
    ***** The query is the 12 weeks because my wife's employer is giving OCP minus SMP to make 50% total (similar to weeks 1-6) which seems incorrect from everything I have checked? Effectively she is losing &pound;128 per week due to this?
    Can anyone clarify if I am correct or am I misinterpreting it and being very hopeful?

Thanks

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It should be 50% PLUS SMP for the 12 weeks - This is the enhanced bit of your maternity employment maternity benefits.