1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity- not sure which board to post this

Discussion in 'Primary' started by friarsyear1, Mar 7, 2019.

1. friarsyear1

friarsyear1 New commenter

Hi All.

I work in an academy. It was an LA school for about a year before it changed status.

I returned from maternity leave on Sept 1st 2018. I am pregnant and due Aug 15th 2019.

A bit of background information: I approached the head in May 2018 to ask to return to work on a 1 day a week basis from sum 2 (June 4th). She agreed and said that it would be 1 day a week until Christmas, when my daughter turned 1, then she would look to increase the number of days from Jan 2019. These dates did not happen. I was told by HR that school could not accommodate me from sum 2. They did agree to start paying me on a one day a week contract from July 23rd.

By the last day of sum 2 2019 I will have worked 53 days, meaning I am outstanding 12 days. I was told yesterday by my union that school can claw back the full maternity amount if I have not worked back the agreed period (65 days as a portion of the 13 weeks’ full time).

I was also told to give me leaving date as Christmas 2019 and not to accept any maternity pay (for the second pregnancy).

It’s my understanding that I will need to have worked the 65 days before beginning the next maternity leave. Is that correct?

I wonder as well, as I agreed to return to work on the basis of our conversation in May (1 day a week, increasing the number of days from Jan) which didn’t actually then happen, can I ask for them to give me the extra days so I can work them before the next maternity leave begins? I have asked twice (first day back in Sept and again in aut 2) but was told they have “too much cover” which just isn’t true. To add insult to injury, they are going to ask an LSA (who has been made into a cover tutor - no interview) to do cover when the class teacher returns from sick leave.

Apologies if I’ve waffled. I’m trying to give as much information as possible.

So my questions are:

- Do I need to have worked the 65 days back before the next maternity leave begins?;
    - Do I have a case against them to say they are preventing me from working the 65 days if they agreed something in principle (they didnt put anything in writing but the HR woman was in the meeting with the head and myself) so I wonder if I could use her as a witness.

I have e-mailed my union, but in the mean time I wanted to hear from you as I am anxious about this situation and feel I need to prepare myself as much as possible.

Thank you in advance.

With regards,
    FY1