1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity/Newjob/TUPE

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jenni123, Dec 23, 2018.

1. jenni123

jenni123 New commenter

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

I have worked in a school for 20 years and a few years ago it was converted into an academy.

I’m currently on Mat leave and have secured a new post in the same borough but with a council run school.

The issue I have is, I will have to return to work for 13 weeks otherwise I will have to pay the OMP back. Prior to us changing to an academy, this would not have been enforced as I am moving within the same borough - if that makes sense?

HR state that although my years of service are being transferred, the maternity aspect does not apply and are insisting I either, return to work, or, pay back the maternity pay.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Surely if I was TUPEd over then the original benefits still apply?

Any advice appreciated:)

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

I didn’t know it was possible to change schools in the same borough and not pay back the the maternity pay.

I was planning on going back for the 13 weeks even though I don’t like where I work. It would be interesting to find out. Xx

3. jenni123

jenni123 New commenter

This has always been the case in the borough in which I work, between council run schools.

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Your maternity benefits haven't changed. Prior to the academy you were employed by the council so could move to another school in the borough as you would still be with the same employer. You will have to return to the academy else pay it back I'm afraid. You could explain.things to your future employer and see if they can help in anyway. When are you planning on starting at the new place? (You can elect to return to work on the first day of whatever holiday before you start and theyd have to pay you full pay until the last day which may help with some extra cash to pay them back)

jenni123 likes this.