1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity matters

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sickandtired, Jan 25, 2016.

1. sickandtired

sickandtired New commenter

Me again.

Before I realised I was pregnant I applied for two positions at another school. One has invited me to interview.

I'm not au fait with maternity- after one year and 9 months service when baby would be born here, I understand I'd be entitled to a diff package than if I joined a new school? Awkward too as I'll be due in sept.

I do want to move but wonder if sitting it out is better in the long run?

I might well take them up on the visit and consider it for the future though.

Whaddyathink?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I think you should post in the Pregnancy or the Pay and Conditions forum to get help with -

There is nothing to stop you applying for positions just because you are pregnant though. People have been known to be offered a post - even with the baby due so close to the start of a term!

Good luck! :)

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I did this when I was expecting and never heard from either job (now it could also have been down to the fact that they had other applicants) so I waited it out and then moved. You could certainly try, the interview experience would be good in either case and there are some heads who would appoint an expectant member of staff if they were clearly the best in the field. No harm in trying, you never know!