1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by modgepodge, Mar 28, 2019.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

apologies if this information is available online but I’m struggling to find it.

I am now on maternity leave, I work in an independent school so not enhanced, only get statutory (6 weeks on 90% pay, then £145ish per week for 33 weeks I believe, then nothing up to 52 weeks). My understanding is this will be paid monthly, and each month I’ll get either 4 or 5 weeks worth of pay, all fine.

My leave happens to fall almost right at the end/start of a tax year, so I imagine I’ll pay normal student loan, tax, NI, pension contributions the first 6 weeks, but after that....I imagine tax and student loan repayments will fall to £0 when I’m on £145 per week, what about NI? And what about pension...looking in the teacher pension website (I pay in to the same scheme as state sector teachers) it looks like employer contributions will continue (at the same rate?) while I’m on mat leave, at least while I’m earning? Do I continue to pay, and if so at what rate? Presumably not the same rate as currently as that would be most of my pay I think...and then what happens if I continue my mat leave after the paid bit? Is that a gap in service and does that matter?

Also does anyone know if it’s possible to get a reduced NEU membership? Don’t want to cancel but also £21 per month when I’m not working is quite a lot!

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

I can’t help with the rest but yes the union do a reduced membership. I spoke to them the other day. Not sure how much though. xx

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

National Insurance and tax are, I believe, charged on maternity pay in the same was as if you earned the same amount of money from working. You will probably overpay tax if you get 90% at the start of the tax year, and that can be claimed back. I think NI is based on weekly earnings, so would fall to zero if you are only getting £145 a week.

Here is a link to a relevant page from the TPS website. https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/...ife/maternity-paternity-and-family-leave.aspx . It suggests that your maternity leave is still pensionable. My guess would be that your contributions would be based on your income, but why not ask TPS? And the same for your union.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Thanks for the info, you’ve confirmed what I thought about tax and NI. I have emailed my union, before I posted on here, but no reply as yet. As my baby is being slow to put in an appearance, I may use the time to call them tomorrow!! That’s the important one I guess as I actually need to tell them to stop taking my money - I guess what will be will be with the pension, and I’ll find out what I’ll pay when I get my first reduced pay check!