1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by db107, Sep 3, 2018.

1. db107

db107 New commenter

Does anyone have any experience of moving from an academy to a LEA School and then getting pregnant? How does that affect continuous employment set out in the burgundy book? What pay are you entitled to? How long do you have to wait?

2. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

From what I understand it will effect your continuous service. So you would be starting the LEA School with no continuous service.You are entitled to maternity pay after one years continuous service before the qualifying week, which is 11 weeks before your due date week. Your union should be able to advise you.

DaisysLot likes this.
  3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Moving from LEA to Academy is akin to moving companies in business - Your continuous employment status is not 'continued'....

4. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

I echo what has been said above. I came from an academy to my current school and was told by my union I needed to have one year and 11 weeks service before the expected week of childbirth before in order to gain full maternity pay.

So you effectively need to work at the school for 23 weeks (inclusive of holidays/half term periods) before you fall pregnant to receive the enhanced maternity.