1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Leave?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by anotherteacher5, Dec 28, 2008.

1. I am looking at a couple of interesting looking jobs in the inde sector but I know in the next few years I will be wanting to start a family. Do you get the same maternity leave as in the state sector? Are there opportunities in the inde sector to go back part time?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

2. I am looking at a couple of interesting looking jobs in the inde sector but I know in the next few years I will be wanting to start a family. Do you get the same maternity leave as in the state sector? Are there opportunities in the inde sector to go back part time?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

3. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

As with all things, it varies from school to school. Some will have maternity schemes that are the same as the state system; some will be more generous; some will be nothing more than the statutory minimum. The same applies for a part-time return to work - some schools will be more flexible than others. Ask at interview if you're not sure, or - possibly better - ask at the point when you're actually offered the job.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I suspect that if you mentioned at the interview that you were wanting to start a family and talked about maternity leave, you wouldn't be offered the job. It wouldn't be in the schools interest to employ you for just a short while and then have to reappoint.
    As the previous poster said, each place has its own rules. Although as always, the larger the institution, the more likely it would be to follow guidelines.

5. There is no job-sharing at my school for mothers who want to return to school part-time. My Head wouldn't even consider it.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Head is obliged by law to consider it, RR. Not necessarily to grant it, but to consider it and give in writing reasons why not. Every employer is obliged to.

You then trot along to the union with the reasons and appeal.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here's the type of letter that should be written.

Dear xxx

I would like to apply to work a pattern that is different to my current full-time working pattern under my right provided in law. I confirm that I meet each of the eligibility criteria as follows:

* I have responsibility for the upbringing of either a child under 6 or a disabled child under 18.

* I am the mother, adopter, guardian or foster mother of the child, or married to or the partner of the father, adopter, guardian or foster father of the child

* I am making this request to help me care for the child

* I am making this request no later than two weeks before the child's sixth birthday or 18th birthday where disabled

* I have worked continuously as an employee of the company for the last 26 weeks

* I have not made a request to work flexibly under this right during the past 12 months

The proposed new working pattern that I am applying for is ?????????

This will affect you as an employer in that ???????????????. This impact on you as an employer can be lessened or removed by ???????????

School has to reply to you in writing calling you to a meeting to discuss it, then give you a written answer.

8. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

It would be against the law for a school to not appoint you because they think you might take maternity leave. To do so would be deemed descrimination agaisnt women by an industrial tribunal.

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Of course it may be against the law.
    Do you think if they didn't employ you they would give a reason? Let's be realistic here. Schools employ people for many reasons, and do not employ many more people, for other reasons. They can quite simply state it was a personality thing or something to do with experience or qualifications. The truth never has to come out.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You don't have to ask about Maternity Leave in an interview. Just ring the school and ask to speak to the Bursar or Business Manager, say you are interested in a job, and ask if the school offers the standard Conditions of Service for Teachers in England and Wales. If s/he is unsure, ask for a copy of their Conditions of Service to be posted to you.

Although if it's a large school, and/or a member of HMC, GSA, IAPS or SHMIS, it will offer the same as the maintained sector as a minimum.

Best of luck!

11. Sorry to contradict you Theogriff,
    my old school is HMC but only pays the minimum SMP rather than what's on offer in the
    maintained sector.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's VERY interesting, as I understood that HMC membership is supposed to give Teachers' conditions of service . . .

Is it a small HMC school that's been losing numbers over the years?

When you say "My old School" do you mean the one you went to as a lad/lass?

13. The school I used to teach in...
    Is it a small HMC school that's been losing numbers over the years?
    No and no...

better not say any more - might get myself into trouble...

14. Thank you all for your responses - definately stuff to think about!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

16. I work in a medium sized HMC independent school and have just found out that I am pregnant. The school has a statatory materinity and nothing like the maintained sector. Should I try and contact HMC or my union?